Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

On my way to the longest smoke on an Egg?

Options
Last night, after a full day of Egging, which included both a Mad Max Turkey and smoked salmon for a brunch, I decided I would fire up the Egg once again for my first overnight pork butt. I am always reticent to do an overnight cook on my Large, as it sits in a cedar table on a wooden deck and I don't like the idea of it being left unattended in the circumstances.

As an alternative to doing it on the Large Egg, I prepped the 8.5lb butt with Steve Raichlen's rub recipe and lit the Mini Max, which I had placed on top of a ceramic tile in the middle of my wet lawn (which I am discovering is a great solution to my fire concerns). When the temp stabilized at about 200, I put the butt on (at about 9pm last night, just prior to the debates). 

When I checked on the butt just now, after a full 10 hours of smoking with the dome thermo reading about 180, the butt, which had been placed on the Egg ice-cold, registered an internal temp of 120 and the lump was plentiful in the bottom of the Egg. I've since raised the dome temp a little. 

I fully anticipate I am still hours and hours away from the finished product, especially since I am not even close to hitting the stall yet. 

Comments

• chadpsualum
    Options
    Any concerns with it being so long (10 hours) below 140F?
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,296
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I wondered that too. I sure hope not!

As I say, it was ice cold when I put it on, so I'm thinking it likely spent several hours cool before gradually heating up.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If you are going for pulled pork, most of us cook to an internal meat temp of 195-205°. With a dome temp of 180°, you'll never get there. Even your starting temp of 200 is lower than I've ever heard mentioned. Most of us cook at 250°, some as low as 225°, but not lower.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,296
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If you are going for pulled pork, most of us cook to an internal meat temp of 195-205°. With a dome temp of 180°, you'll never get there. Even your starting temp of 200 is lower than I've ever heard mentioned. Most of us cook at 250°, some as low as 225°, but not lower.
    The 180 smoking temp was not intentional. I usually smoke between 225 and 275. Because I set it up before going to bed, I was conservative in setting my temps because I didn't want to wake up to a burned butt and figured it might jump temp a little bit through the night.