Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spaghetti

Options
tikigriller
tikigriller Posts: 1,389
Anyone every try to make the sauce on the Egg?  Spaghetti is on the menu for tonight so of course I was trying to come up with a way to still use the Egg and thought the sauce could turn out pretty good........or am I an over Eggdicted User that is out of control and should I just cook indoors tonight?
Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Anyone every try to make the sauce on the Egg?  Spaghetti is on the menu for tonight so of course I was trying to come up with a way to still use the Egg and thought the sauce could turn out pretty good........or am I an over Eggdicted User that is out of control and should I just cook indoors tonight?

I cook the sauce on an induction burner outside, and add smoked meatballs to it. Never bothered cooking the sauce in the egg.  Let us know how it works.

Phoenix 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Do sausage and meatballs on the egg. Then put meat in sauce and simmer on the egg this way no splatter in the kitchen and extra yumminess. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    My brother does, it always turns out great. Some have accused me of being Eggdicted, but I can quit any time I want.
  • tikigriller
    Options

Perfect.  I'll let you all know.....I would say about 8 PM California Time~~~Hopefully with a happy Bay Area enjoying Cub's Fans scratching their heads on how they could possibly lose a playoff game since most of them already think they won the World Series!

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Do sausage and meatballs on the egg. Then put meat in sauce and simmer on the egg this way no splatter in the kitchen and extra yumminess. 
    +1

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    I don't follow baseball, so I have no idea if you are right about Cub fans, but there are many delusional sports fans. Here is an example.
    http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17738333/poll-shows-fans-believe-ohio-state-buckeyes-beat-cleveland-browns
  • tikigriller
    Options
    How hot would you run the egg for the simmering of the sauce once the meat is  done?  We do sausage in our's, but we pull it apart and cook it up like ground beef.  Will a regular frying pan work, or do I need to grab a CI Skillet to really be safe?  I imagine indirect?

Livermore, California
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning tikigriller:

why stop with cooking only the sauce...here is a link to the whole meal on the Egg... http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/188911/my-most-unusual-egged-meal-to-date#latest

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• tikigriller
    edited October 2016
    Options

@ssn686 Thanks!  I am now officially excited about making dinner tonight!

My wife seriously thinks I have completely lost it.

Livermore, California
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    if you want her to really think you lost it, smoke the cooked pasta at 220 for about an hour =) then add the meat sauce. this one was mac and cheese with burger and bbq spices

100_1319-1jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tikigriller
    Options
    @fishlessman how do I do that? Cook the pasta then smoke it in a pan of some kind?  Add water so it doesn't dry out?

Livermore, California
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I've smoked the meatballs on the Egg, but never bothered to do the sauce. Nothing wrong with doing it that way, plenty of people do chili on the Egg, so why not sauce? To me, the stove works just fine. I don't really want an overly heavy smoked sauce.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Just my $.02 but I think you will get the most flavor if you make meatballs and smoke them on the egg first as others suggested. You can use the ground sausage and just a few other things and make meatballs...e.g.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/218826/johnsonville-italian-meatballs/

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    @fishlessman how do I do that? Cook the pasta then smoke it in a pan of some kind?  Add water so it doesn't dry out?
    over cook the macaroni, chill it in cold water, smoke it in a stainless colander with holes keeping temp below 220, then mix everything in a casserole with a little extra liquid and bake at 450.  i only smoked the pasta on this one, it was finished in the oven so the cheese would not pick up too much smoke
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • eggineric
    Options
    I do it all the time.  Every year when the produce gets going full bloom, I make big batches of pizza and spaghetti sauce.   I throw whole veggies in a big dutch oven and smoke it hard for about 3 hours.  Then I throw in a food processor or vitamix and make it the consistency I want and then put back on heat to reduce the liquid until I'm satisfied.  I can't find any pics of it right now but may be able to post some.  People always comment on the sauce.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Easy Peasy.  dry pasta slightly toasted with butter.  
    Throw into the LeCrusset:   your choice, choice of italian dried/fresh herbs, bay leaf, Cento tomato sauce, 1+C of chicken broth, roasted garlic (smashed)  and roasted onions (chopped), roasted red peppers chopped and pepper flakes   (onion and garlic powder will work too).
    Place everything but the toasted pasta in the pot, set on egg and cooked covered for 30 minutes.  Add the toasted pasta and cook uncovered for another 30 minutes...May have to add more chicken stock at this point.  
    Pretty good same day but much better next day.  
    FYI we use a much sturdier pasta than spaghetti for this cook.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • tikigriller
    Options
    I had to look up LeCrussset to know what you were talking about.....great...another toy!

Livermore, California
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    I had to look up LeCrussset to know what you were talking about.....great...another toy!
    Always try to help ;) .  There are other brands out there that are cheaper....Watch Woot for good deals.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • tikigriller
    Options
    The meatballs are on......

Livermore, California
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    my experience is that pasta dishes (smoked mac n cheese) only need small amounts of smoke. so my advice is go light on the smoke with pasta dishes, use a fruit wood or at most a pecan or maple, hickory oak mesquite are too strong for pasta in my opinion. everyone has their own tastes though
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • tikigriller
    Options
    I did not add any smoke this time around. See if just the egg produces enough flavor. 

Livermore, California
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I did not add any smoke this time around. See if just the egg produces enough flavor. 
    all tastes differ, egg alone will add flavor :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • tikigriller
    Options
    So the meatballs are a mix of mild and spicey sausage and the recipe linked above. 

I really dont don't want to sound like a teenage girl, but,  OMG!!!!

I refuse to stand on the scale until Sunday. 

Livermore, California
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man that looks so good. It is 6 am and I would eat some cold leftovers for breakfast. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning tikigriller:

You done good!!!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• tikigriller
    Options
    Yet another meal I could not have pulled off without coming around here first!  this one got comments to the good from the ENTIRE family, which is rare.

Livermore, California
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Great cook!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"