Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Our son picking his college OT

Options
Our son is selecting a school for his continuing education. Here is the list: Georgia, Georgia Tech, "The Real USC" South Carolina, Kentucky, Louisville, Wisconsin, Indiana, Purdue, and (for me only) Berkley.
What say you?
Bio engineering and Graphic Arts.
4.0 student, tons of interests, involved in many support programs for helping others. 
Governor's Scholar recipient.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    With that transcript, are any of those schools offering a full ride?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @YukonRon

That's a really unique spread on the spectrum for majors.  I'd personally pick engineering with a minor in arts, if he's truly passionate about the arts.  The foundation of engineering will serve him well.  

My only regreat in college was going to a 'branch campus', as for I don't have a passion for Penn State football in the fall.  Knowing that, I'd push him to go away and experience the big campus feel/passion of your school's team. 

Others may feel differently, but the experience of game day, tailgates, etc. is a wonderful feeling/experience 

Skip
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ron,....as much as I hate to say it....if engineering is the direction, Clempson has an outstanding program, and worth looking onto. I think the others listed are also solid.....including SC.

From a Graphics perspective, I would recommend that he also look into the Savannah College of Arts and Design (SCAD) in Savannah GA.  https://admission.scad.edu/forms/reqInfo/genlanding?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SCAD%3A%20Branded%3A%20National&utm_term=savannh%20college%20of%20art%20and%20design&utm_content=National%3A%20SCAD%20Branding My wife taugh Art for many years and has helped place quite a few students here. She would be a good person to talk with if he is interested. Also happy to host you guys if touring in the area.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Ron, my son is in the engineering program at USC and loves it so far, daughter is a senior there and loves it as well. If your kid plays an instrument USC offers basically an equivalent to in-state tuition if you are in marching band, my son is taking advantage of that. Good luck.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    I'm biased but I believe Georgia Tech is the most highly regarded school on the list for engineering. They have a great bio program too. A degree from Tech is extremely well regarded. It's a no brainer in my book. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Out of the list, I'd go with GT.  

Dook has a great bio engineering school.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DoubleEgger
    Options

Dook is $65k/yr too.  :o
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited October 2016
    Options
    One's I know.

My younger SIL went to Purdue. It is and has been for decades a very fine school for engineering and the science. He's started his fud program in CS to move up to prof. at IU. Low rent, and good 'Q in the city. High rate of job placement for graduates. Pretty much isolated in rural Indiana. but on an interstate 2 hrs from Chi. 

Indiana at Bloomington. Spectacular arts facilities. Both son's went there, had a close friend who did his Masters in music there, thought it was one of the best programs in the country. Medium rent, spectacular food scene. Closest nat'l airport is Indy, about an hour away by shuttle bus. IU has a very strong medical program, but I don't know what, if anything, they have in bio-engineering.

Berkley, well, its rad. My god daughter is doing her fud there, she's got an IQ somewhere above 150, and that was her choice. Cost of living can be daunting. When not w. her husband at UC Davis, she shared an apt. w. 5 other gals in Berkley.

SCAD, a friend of mine taught there. She was phenomenally skilled. Retired now, but if she was an example of the faculty, there are very good teachers there.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options

I agree with Georgia Tech and Clemson. Our son had the same background as yours as far as grades and support programs for others.   My son attends Clemson and loves that place along with about every student that ever went to Clemson.  My suggestion is get started early and do the tours and cut the list and tour again.  Matter of fact my son gives tours (CUGA) at Clemson.  As far as full rides go - good luck.  I don't care how sharp kids are colleges are now a full fledged business with their own branding.  Expect some help with scholarships but unless you are in a "need" situation - full rides at the best colleges are gone.  Dare you to take him to a Clemson home football game right now and see where he ends up!!!  Best of luck with the search - Just finished my journey last year....No doubt we picked the best school for our son...Go Tigers!!!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    pasoegg said:

My son attends Clemson and loves that place along with about every student that ever went to Clemson.  

Matter of fact my son gives tours (CUGA) at Clemson.   Dare you to take him to a Clemson home football game right now and see where he ends up!!!  

Boooooo =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • pasoegg
    Options
    pasoegg said:

My son attends Clemson and loves that place along with about every student that ever went to Clemson.  

Matter of fact my son gives tours (CUGA) at Clemson.   Dare you to take him to a Clemson home football game right now and see where he ends up!!!  

Boooooo =)

figured that was coming from you....see you in November at Death Valley...little ribbing never hurt nobody

Winston-Salem, NC

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    With that transcript, are any of those schools offering a full ride?
    He has some offers. He will be getting private grants from several organizations, UK and UL are full rides. He has partials from those listed, and the Art Academy in SC which @northGAcock mentioned has been of interest also.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    He is a snow hound. Loves snowboarding and in the summers, loves golf. Not much of a team sports kind of guy, but does enjoy events. Good insight, thank you, will place that in the hat for consideration.
    RedSkip said:
    @YukonRon

That's a really unique spread on the spectrum for majors.  I'd personally pick engineering with a minor in arts, if he's truly passionate about the arts.  The foundation of engineering will serve him well.  

My only regreat in college was going to a 'branch campus', as for I don't have a passion for Penn State football in the fall.  Knowing that, I'd push him to go away and experience the big campus feel/passion of your school's team. 

Others may feel differently, but the experience of game day, tailgates, etc. is a wonderful feeling/experience 

Skip

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Ron,....as much as I hate to say it....if engineering is the direction, Clempson has an outstanding program, and worth looking onto. I think the others listed are also solid.....including SC.

From a Graphics perspective, I would recommend that he also look into the Savannah College of Arts and Design (SCAD) in Savannah GA.  https://admission.scad.edu/forms/reqInfo/genlanding?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SCAD%3A%20Branded%3A%20National&utm_term=savannh%20college%20of%20art%20and%20design&utm_content=National%3A%20SCAD%20Branding My wife taugh Art for many years and has helped place quite a few students here. She would be a good person to talk with if he is interested. Also happy to host you guys if touring in the area.
    As it so happens, that is exactly the school he wants to go to for arts, however, the bio is extremely important right now, it could change.
    Would love to talk with you guys! Our son is definately interested. This rocks.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

YEMTrey said:

I am impressed with this. They sent some mail, and my son has them on the edge at the moment. This could change.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

JRWhitee said:
    Ron, my son is in the engineering program at USC and loves it so far, daughter is a senior there and loves it as well. If your kid plays an instrument USC offers basically an equivalent to in-state tuition if you are in marching band, my son is taking advantage of that. Good luck.
    Thank you for the feedback. He really loves the SC area, and hopes to move there. Loves the campus, went on a visit last year with some friends, and just loved it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

I'm biased but I believe Georgia Tech is the most highly regarded school on the list for engineering. They have a great bio program too. A degree from Tech is extremely well regarded. It's a no brainer in my book. 
    His uncle graduated there, and has received plenty of interest. He has an interview very soon.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

Mother is a grad of Louisville, I graduated from Kentucky. No way in hell will he be allowed to breathe Dookie Air. Just sayin'.
    JKOC.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

gdenby said:
    One's I know.

My younger SIL went to Purdue. It is and has been for decades a very fine school for engineering and the science. He's started his fud program in CS to move up to prof. at IU. Low rent, and good 'Q in the city. High rate of job placement for graduates. Pretty much isolated in rural Indiana. but on an interstate 2 hrs from Chi. 

Indiana at Bloomington. Spectacular arts facilities. Both son's went there, had a close friend who did his Masters in music there, thought it was one of the best programs in the country. Medium rent, spectacular food scene. Closest nat'l airport is Indy, about an hour away by shuttle bus. IU has a very strong medical program, but I don't know what, if anything, they have in bio-engineering.

Berkley, well, its rad. My god daughter is doing her fud there, she's got an IQ somewhere above 150, and that was her choice. Cost of living can be daunting. When not w. her husband at UC Davis, she shared an apt. w. 5 other gals in Berkley.

SCAD, a friend of mine taught there. She was phenomenally skilled. Retired now, but if she was an example of the faculty, there are very good teachers there.
    Thank you for the information. I will share with my son. IU is not far from Louisville and Purdue is not that far away. I did a stint at Berkley for a couple years, loved the place, and he is smart enough to get in and prosper. Plus, he loves snow boarding, Lake Tahoe, and Northern Cal mountains do not suck.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    pasoegg said:

I agree with Georgia Tech and Clemson. Our son had the same background as yours as far as grades and support programs for others.   My son attends Clemson and loves that place along with about every student that ever went to Clemson.  My suggestion is get started early and do the tours and cut the list and tour again.  Matter of fact my son gives tours (CUGA) at Clemson.  As far as full rides go - good luck.  I don't care how sharp kids are colleges are now a full fledged business with their own branding.  Expect some help with scholarships but unless you are in a "need" situation - full rides at the best colleges are gone.  Dare you to take him to a Clemson home football game right now and see where he ends up!!!  Best of luck with the search - Just finished my journey last year....No doubt we picked the best school for our son...Go Tigers!!!

Certainly will pass that along. He has talked about Clemson, maybe he will do a tour. Thank you for the information.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

pasoegg said:
    pasoegg said:

Boooooo =)

figured that was coming from you....see you in November at Death Valley...little ribbing never hurt.

They beat the scummy Petrino's. That ain't bad.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • pasoegg
    Options
    I wish your family the best on the journey for finding him a home...can be a little overwhelming but I'm sure with his credentials he will do well anywhere he decides to hang his hat...

Winston-Salem, NC

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Faber?

sorry... :giggle: 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tarheelmatt
    Options

Dook is $65k/yr too.  :o
    I like having fun with others money!
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    YukonRon said:

Mother is a grad of Louisville, I graduated from Kentucky. No way in hell will he be allowed to breathe Dookie Air. Just sayin'.
    JKOC.
    Haha.. That's a lot of hate. Hell, I'd send my little girl there is it were free to us. That's coming from a UNC fan. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    Your son sounds somewhat similar to mine.  He was interested in engineering and music.  We had told him that he can't major in just music - but that he could double major or minor in it.  He got in to UT Austin for electrical engineering and was very happy to be going there.  Decided to not even apply anywhere else.

And then....

A letter came in the mail from the Peabody Conservatory at Johns Hopkins...

They have a program in Recording Arts with a double major in music performance.  With Engineering/math/physics classes with the regular Johns Hopkins undergrads.  It spoke to him.  Over 400 kids applied.  Application included a music audition DVD that was loaded onto Dropbox for them to view.  And a Skype interview.  He was one of 10 accepted.  After a semester in the program he realized that it was more narrow (would only give him job opportunities in the music industry and he would only learn engineering that is pertinent to music and sound physics).  He wants a broader engineering education.  The only problem is that now he is a "transfer" applicant.  Even at Johns Hopkins.  They are evaluated differently.  After the high school kids applying for freshman spots.  And with different criteria.  UT Austin rejected him.   He ended up on his feet at Tulane studying Biomedical Engineering and is very happy - as are we.  But it was a real struggle with a lot of months of uncertainty and it could have ended up a lot worse.  We even talked about him living at home and going to junior college.  Wouldn't have been the end of the world and would have been a good live lesson. 

I don't know much about SCAD, but if your son decides to go some place like that (great school, but with a narrow education focus) he needs to be very sure of what he wants to do.  It is hard to get from there to another institution.  It worked out for my son because he earned a 3.6 average at Johns Hopkins/Peabody, but again, there was a lot of angst.

If he really wants to do Biomedical Engineering, Georgia Tech is ranked #2 behind Johns Hopkins (where by the way my son was ultimately accepted as a "transfer" student, but he was told the only major he couldn't do was Biomedical Engineering because they are oversubscribed).  Tulane is also excellent and they have an incredible program where they start them very early getting involved in their own projects with mentors from the medical school.   I could put you in touch with one of their PhDs who met with my son and provided him the best mentoring I've ever seen for a student at any level (I'm on a med school faculty and have won over a dozen teaching awards - many of them for mentoring - and I'm president of a national surgical education organization.  After that meeting I decided I needed to step up my game).

Good luck with this.  It is an exciting time.  We've enjoyed the journey and hopefully your family will as well.  PM me if I can help.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    That's the great thing about Tech. All of the engineering programs are excellent so changing your mind on a career path doesn't mean you've got to transfer. Even the Mgt and Econ schools are really good. 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    pasoegg said:
    I wish your family the best on the journey for finding him a home...can be a little overwhelming but I'm sure with his credentials he will do well anywhere he decides to hang his hat...
    Thank you. He is having some fun with it now, but he is gaining focus on his next step. It is a proud moment for his mother and I. He will find his spot.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

Faber?

sorry... :giggle: 
    That is funny. Very funny. Keep him out of Delta house though.......

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky