Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is this something to be worried about?

Options
I was cooking on my Dad's Large Egg and noticed the dome was peeling. Anything to be concerned about? Thanks

Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)

Comments

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Just needs a cleaning.  Others will give you exact directions, but it is called  a clean burn.  Crank up the heat and let it run for about an hour.  Then, just take a balled up piece of tin foil, and use it to finish the clean.  It will look awesome when done!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    Thanks. I've done a clean burn before on it. This is actually peeling off similar to paint. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Thanks. I've done a clean burn before on it. This is actually peeling off similar to paint. 
    It's creosote buildup. Hit it with a ball of aluminum foil and you'll be good to go. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,764
    Options
    rainy humid weather and or lots of low and slows. that build up will flake into your food, it needs a burnout and scrape
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    OK. Thanks. I'll crank it up again, burn, & scrape. 

Thanks tikigriller & fishlessman!
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    there's no paint on a BGE.   that's just soot buildup
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,764
    Options
    a big pot of boiling water in there for an hour or two will loosen it up as well and scrape
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    yeah it's normal.  Do as those above suggested.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Just waiting for someone to chime in with OH NO don't clean off all of the seasoning and good flavor! Yes do as the others have said to remove the soot.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    OK. Thanks. I'll crank it up again, burn, & scrape. 

Thanks tikigriller & fishlessman!
    Scrape the excess off first then burn it. 
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    Don't go crazy on the temperature. I've run mine at 650 - 700 for an hour and it cleans it up just fine. After it all cools down, take a ball of aluminum foil and wipe down the interior.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options