Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First attempt at Brisket

Options
GoooDawgs
GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
edited October 2016 in EggHead Forum
Morning everyone.   Finally got my membership to KCBS so I could enter Restaurant Depot to begin my quest to cook a brisket.   After lots of research through this forum and some great tips from our resident experts, the journey began last night.

Set-up the egg with 3 oak chunks, 2 hickory, and 1 cherry (seemed like a solid recipe in my mind as I had a pork butt going on too).  I did use the pizza stone on top of the PS as I mentioned earlier in the week (long story short,  it's not worth it.   Controlling temp was a PITA even with the FB). 

I started trimming the beast after watching Franklin's video a dozen times - all packers must be different as I had a tough time following! Managed to remove all the hard fat and trimmed fat cap to about 1/4 to 1/3".  S&P rub and it was put on at midnight.

Right now the beast is wrapped in butcher paper and is back in the egg.  Internal temp is 166 and the grid is 245.    Hopefully I put the probe back in OK as the paper made it hard to find the thickest part of the flat. 

Will post back in a few more hours.   Thanks again for the help!
Milton, GA 
XL BGE & FB300

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Looking solid so far-hope you have a good sized drip pan for the combined renderings.
    BTW -  your comment "all packers must be different" is definitely the truth.  Not only with the way the butcher cuts and initially trims them but for certain with the cook.  The process to the finish-line can be quite standard but the finish-line is totally friggin cow dependent.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Looks good to me!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • GoooDawgs
    Options
    This cooks a lot faster than pork! Went from 166 to 188 in about an hour.   Is that "normal?"
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • lousubcap
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I would check the placement of your temp probe.  Make sure you are in the thick part of the flat and not the point.  And my experience says that while every cook is different , that is way outside the bell curve for temperature increase.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    This is like watching a movie. I love it. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • GoooDawgs
    Options
    I knew that butcher paper would be trouble on my first attempt!  Stand by...
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • GoooDawgs
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I would check the placement of your temp probe.  Make sure you are in the thick part of the flat and not the point.  And my experience says that while every cook is different , that is way outside the bell curve for temperature increase.  
    @lousubcap should the probe go in from the side or from the top-down?
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I usually insert the probe so it is going across the grain....so  from your picture on the butcher paper, I would either go from the 2 o'clock to the 8 or vice versa.  More critical than that is that you are in the thickest part of the flat.  Just try a couple of places.  If still worried, toss the paper and go naked.  You will be fine either way.  Good luck.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • GoooDawgs
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Just moved the probe to the thickest part flat - actually stuck a toothpick in the right part so it would show me the way aftet it was wrapped - and it's at 192 IT but no buttah feeling.   I guess I could have had the probe wrong from the start - it's been on for 11.5 hours so it's on pace for about an hour per pound.
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Don't worry about trying to get this absolutely perfect.  The learning curve is pretty steep with these and you're doing great so far as I can tell.  

My only comment would be that you didn't put on anywhere near as much rub as is "standard" around here.  You may prefer it that way, but next time consider adding more.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GoooDawgs
    Options
    Don't worry about trying to get this absolutely perfect.  The learning curve is pretty steep with these and you're doing great so far as I can tell.  

My only comment would be that you didn't put on anywhere near as much rub as is "standard" around here.  You may prefer it that way, but next time consider adding more.  

I thought the same and added a little more after I put it on...  would it make any sense to add more before I FTC for 3 hours?
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Your bark looks great-meteorite-like is the "gold standard" and you are about there.  I wouldn't add any for FTC as all it then becomes is a salt and pepper seasoning.  FWIW-
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    It will hold a very long time if you get done too soon. Probe it in a few places and if you get some butter spots, I'd prolly call it done. The whole thing doesn't always give it up. Looking fine to me. Take note of the feel of it for reference. 
  • GoooDawgs
    Options
    Update....   one good side,  one bad.   When it probed like butter,  I removed and let rest before I rewrapped and BTC.   

Here's the issue,  the fat stuck to the butcher paper so the back was torn up! 

The other side looks great.

Now I have to figure out how to slice this thing.    The flat goes over the point on the nice side,  so the technique I see on YouTube won't work.    Should I try and separate point from flat before slicing? 

Lastly, any ideas on the fat sticking to paper issue?   Did I wrap too early?   Maybe should have cooked it at a higher temp than 245 to render more fat...   

Time to try again next week! 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Can't comment on the paper but here's link to a great slice video from Franklin.  Get to the slice part and he takes all the mystery out of it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIlyzRFUjU  
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Foil wraps are about when you did, but the butcher paper guys like franklin wait til @185 I think. Not 100%. My buddy does butcher,  I've only used foil. 

Ive separated and kept whole. It looks great. I wouldn't let the little issue bother you. It will taste just as good. Getting the flat cut cross grain is most important 
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Looks good to me. I'd hit that. My first looked like a charred mud-flap. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    if that's your first packer, i'd say you're off to a great start!  how'd it taste?
    my little bit of advice - slice it 'to order.' 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Gorgeous. A++ first attempt. Need the taste review!!  

Hooked now, right?
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • GoooDawgs
    Options
    Overall I had a lot of fun on this cook.  It's definitely a more advanced cook than the pork butts I usually do!  

I ended up taking it off at 197 internal temp, and even though most sections probed like butter, it ended up tasting a little dry.  Some pieces passed the bend test, other would tear apart under their own weight.  This was a RD brisket, so I may need to wait a few degrees more next time to have all of the protein "give up" and turn to buttah.  I believe you guys now that you have to go by "feel" on these things - can't just name a temp to take it off at!

Smoke ring was great, and everyone seemed to enjoy, but like you guys I'm always looking for ways to make the next one better!  To me, the flat tasted a little like pot roast, so we ended up cubing the leftovers and making chili.

On my next attempt, I'm going to:

- Definitely add more rub and using a coarser pepper.  I believe my pepper was too fine so it was difficult to tell how much was getting on and I ended up too light.

- No more pizza stone on top of the PS.   This created very uneven heat, which most likely effected how the brisket cooked.  For example, if the grate temp was 250, the dome was between 350 and 400!  I had to remove the stone halfway through and the temp was fine. 

- Work on trimming better.  Perhaps it was due to the uneven heat flow, but the fat cap barely rendered and was quite evident when I removed it from the paper.  I like to remove almost the entire fat cap on my pork shoulders, is there harm in being more aggressive with the fat removal on the brisket?

- Wait to wrap in paper until 185.

- Get the probe in the right part of the flat at the start of the cook so I can better monitor and predict the timing.

Thanks again for everyone's help so far.  Great to have a forum like this!  Hopefully I'll post the 2nd attempt in a couple weeks!

Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Opinions are like A$$holes. And you'll get plenty of them here...not opinions :tongue:
    Looks good to me. Learning and developing are all part of the journey. Enjoy. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It looks great from here.  As far as the fat cap- the general consensus is trim all but about 1/4 inch off, and then trim off the hard fat.  Franklin has a video that shows this as well.  To be honest I still suck at this...I have trouble gauging where the fat stops and the meat starts so I end up with bare patches. However, I have found that I would rather trim off too much than not enough.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• atouchofsmokeWP
    Options
    subscribed
    Franklin, TN