Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fresh corn question: how to keep it and can I do so?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,890
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife just came home with a gift of a large bag of freshly picked corn. I intend to give most all of it away to neighbors, but here's my problem - it will be Monday at the earliest before I can fix any for us. Will it last that long? Should I husk it and wrap it for the refrig or soak it or what? Thanks!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    RRP,
    Just put in the refrig and it will be fine for a week.
    Larry

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    YB,
    as is - husks and all? What in a plastic bag?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    RRP,
    Ditto,if is was just pulled.Late in the season,stock up and par boil for two min and cool it down in cold water.Cut kernals off and put in freezer bags and enjoy at Thanksgiving dinner.Only about 60 days left in this area and it will be that time of year.Its a shame you can not do that with tomatoes.

• YB
    Options
    RRP,
    You can shuck it or put in in the refrig just like it is.I would put it in one of the drawers in the refrig.Ron I think it will be the freshest if you shuck and seal it with your foodsaver.
    Larry

• YB
    Options
    darnoc,
    I agree with you about blanching the corn before freezing.
    Larry

• Whitetail
    Whitetail Posts: 76
    Options
    RRP,
    Hey Ron,[p]If it were me I would just put it in there as is, no bag. I like to grill my corn husk on so that is why I would not shuck it. If you leave the husk on don’t bag it because the plastic bag won’t let it breath and the husk will actually start to get mushy.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    RRP,
    Main thing is to keep it cold, my mother in law blanches the whole ear and freezes them whole. I swear they are as good in December as they are in July. -RP

• wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Options
    RRP,
    We grow thousands of acres of corn here. The first thing that happens when it gets to the packing shed is that it gets iced down. A couple of the big growers require the big rigs to precool their trailers before they load them. Keeping it cold is very important.

• Dec
    Dec Posts: 70
    Options
    RRP,[p]I had a mexican corn dish in Los Angeles last month that you might enjoy.
    Cut the corn off the cobb, mix with a little mayo, sprinkle with parmesan cheese, and top it off with some chile powder.[p]Dec