Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Simplest salsa ever

Options
I've been making this salsa all summer and finally have time to post. My husband has been drinking it by the jar so I know it's good :-)

Roast on the BGE:
10 roma tomatoes
10 tomatillos
10 chilis (I've been using morita)

De-stem and de-seed the chilis. Throw the tomatoes, tomatillos, chilis, some garlic cloves and salt into blender and process until smooth. Add more salt if needed to tame the heat.

Notes:
- I add way more garlic, like 6-7 cloves.
- I start with a little salt - maybe 1-2 teaspoons, and then keep adding to taste as the salsa cools down
- Romas are the best tomatoes. Have tried with other tomatoes and the salsa gets way too watery.
- If you like heat, don't de-seed the chilis, just toss them in the blender whole.

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Sounds good. I/we like a chunky salsa over the latter. One question....why no cilantro?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • ShesGotEggs
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL I have some friends who have that "cilantro tastes like soap" issue so I leave it out for them. Also easier for me :-)
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Fair enough. We have a friend from Venezuela that absolutely detests cilantro. So I always tag her with "extra fresh cilantro" on my different dishes. :lol: 
    We had a potluck and I made a 50/50 split w/ and w/out. Taste buds vary. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Thanks for posting, I'm not huge on cilantro so may need to try this, you ever roast the garlic?
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    feef706 said:
    Thanks for posting, I'm not huge on cilantro so may need to try this, you ever roast the garlic?
    I was going to mention this too, I like roasting half or so of the garlic (it gets sweeter) and the raw provides more bite; love it!  
    Although I like tomatillo salsa in the local "fresh mex" places, I've never used it much at home, need to start playing.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    use culantro instead of cilantro, then you can tell the soap people theres no cilantro in the dish =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FaceDance
    FaceDance Posts: 289
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Roasted/smoked salsa is EXCELLENT and easy on the Egg.  This picture was one of the first cooks I ever did on my egg almost four years ago.  I add yellow onions and like to kick it up a notch by adding jalapeños and a habanero or two.

And for the record... I am in the "NO CILANTRO" camp but wifey is strongly opposed.  I usually add a few sprigs as a compromise.
    South Florida - Large BGE (DOB:  12/07/2013)
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    I'll be trying this soon. Thanks for the share.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• ShesGotEggs
    Options
    @feef706I have never smoked/roasted the garlic ahead of time, not sure why. Probably just because I am lazy :-)