Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

sloppy joes

fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,671
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
100_0836.jpg
<p />havent made these for a long time, must be 15 years. piled high and open faced is how ive always eaten them. first time making them on the egg
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    fishlessman,[p]Man, that's one nice (appetizing) picture. Looks like something right out of Bon Appetite! [p]Now PLEASE stop posting pictures like this until after 9:00 am. I'm trying to keep my girth in check (AND YOU'RE NOT HELPING)![p]Have a great Day!
    Smokey

• fishlessman,
    we had sloppy joes as well last night. ...always a good comfort food....didn't do mine on the egg, but i did add a nice shake of 'raising the steaks' rub to mine when it was plated ....yummy, raised em up a notch!! . .and like you, i always eat them open faced, but in a left over acknowledgement to eating them in elementary school, i top mine with a gold old kraft's american single :-)

• fishlessman
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    something i find funny about leaving new england is that orange cheese, now we do have velveeta, and mcdonalds, but other than that, orange cheese is not on the list. recently out in new mexico getting the weeks food for a fishing trip i was sent to the cheese isle for some chedder. big section of orange cheese. i came back to the group and told them, they dont have cheese here. after they checked, we didnt buy any for sandwiches or for the burgers. when you say gold, are you saying orange cheese, just curious

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Smokey,
    not helping my girth either, already had some for breakfast, and morning breaks coming up.

fukahwee maine

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    fishlessman,
    hope you don't mind my butting in here, but are you talking about the gold cheese we call longhorn or colby?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman,
    whoops, typo...i meant GOOD old american cheese. .not 'gold' . .but not even chedder, just plain american cheese. ...good melt factor when you lay it over the hot sloppy joe mix. . .[p]now, all we need is some of lawn ranger's tater tots and we'll have a really traditional elem. school lunch :)[p](we had ore-ida hash browns last night with our sloppy joes, almost as good as tater tots). ..hee

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    fishlessman,
    Man, that looks good. Never had parmesan cheese on joes but I bet it adds to the "yummmm" factor. Your pic would make a nice screen saver, he he. [p]Been awhile since I made joes on the egg, I think I used 8 lbs. of chuck for a birthday party.
    Have a great day,
    Clay

• fishlessman
    RRP,
    we have colby, never seen long horn. i was just talking cheese in general. from american to mild to sharp chedder its all white. you can ask at the counter for orange american, but you have to specifically ask for orange or you will get white. in new mexico the store i was in didnt have any white cheese, even the chedder or the singles or anything

fukahwee maine

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Don't forget the pint carton of milk! ;-)[p]Kelly

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    has anyone done mac-n-cheese on the egg?!?!

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike,
    yep. .. and its good!!! .... i do a pretty traditional one. ..make up a roux/bechamel sauce, add macaroni, mix in a big helping of grated cheese (like to blend things like a good chedder/gruyer(Sp), etc), then top with italian bread crumbs and bake in the egg for about an hour indirect at 350 degrees. . . .careful with smoke though, you want a pretty clean fire as all that cheese will absorb a lot of smoke .. .

• stike
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    nice with a hint of smoke though, right?[p]by the way. i don't know what you mean about 'traditional'. traditional mac-n-cheese in our house, ca. 1972, was melted velveeta and milk poured into a round mixing bowl with elbow macaroni, tomato wedges on top, then baked in the oven till runny and gooey with some crisp stuff on top. sometimes breadcrumbs on it too.[p]hahahaha
    good stuff, though, as a 6 year old kid. come to think of it, i wouldn't turn it down if good ol' ma made some again...

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    fishlessman,
    Its only breakfast time here but those look so good , even for breakfast.Will have to show that picture to my 14 year old grandson and see if I can't get him interested. So far he's a hamburg, fih and chicken man.

• LOG
    LOG Posts: 85
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    What's next MAX fishsticks on the EGG?
    LOG

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    fishlessman,[p]Those are some delightful sloppy joes.[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• eggnerd
    eggnerd Posts: 64
    fishless,[p]It's cruel for you to be making me this hungry so early in the day![p]Bet those were great.[p]EggNerd

• Ironbaugh
    Ironbaugh Posts: 93
    EggNerd,
    We made sloppy joes a couple of months ago. No sauce-- just loose hamburger meat--drained w/ lots of pepper and some dizzy dust. Topped w/ jalapeno pickles. Tasted similar to ones I ate 25 years ago in Iowa--- at diners called Maid-Rite.

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    ....and then we can put green peas on the flat end of our forks, and slam our fist down on the tongs end, sending them flying across the room! Ahh the memories!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    stike,
    Man I just did the math and if you were 6 in 1972 that means I just graduated from college the year you were born...thanks for the age difference reminder, bud!
    mutter, mutter, mutter....

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Dublin Dawg,
    ahhh, don't get me started. ..pinching the edges around 3 sides of an ice cream sandwich, then slamming it down with a fist and watching the wedge of ice cream fly across the room ....or dipping straw tips in mustard, shooting them straight up in the air so they'd stick to the ceiling tiles, only to have them fall on the kids sitting in the same seats during 2nd lunch. ...taking tater tots and smashing them into someones math book on the page that they'd have to turn to in the next period. ...[p]you know, if you couldn't eat it, you might as well have fun with it :-)

• stike
    RRP,
    from my curnudgeonly bastardliness, you figgered i was 92, right?