Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking ribs for the first time this weekend...Warning, newbie questions...

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to try the 3-1-1 method this weekend. I've pretty much figured out how I'm going to do the indirect cook, but I have a couple of questions about the set up. After you soak the wood in water, and place it on your lump, do you get the lump lit, and heated up before you set up your setter, drip pan, etc? If you do use something like apple juice in your pan, when do you add it? Which do you guys use more, a V-rack for your initial cook, or a raised grill?[p]Also, when you wrap the ribs in foil, I assume you are creating more of a pocket to place the ribs in (meat side down)? Sealed very well so as not to lose the juice I guess.[p]Thanks for indulging these first timer questions.

Comments

• CT Grillguy
    CT Grillguy Posts: 149
    Options
    JBuffett,[p]I'm no expert, but I've done this method well a few times so I'll try to help.[p]1. You can place the smoking wood on the lump after it's lit. If it's soaked, I wouldn't put it on before lighting. I use dry chunks of wood and they work just fine.[p]2. Immediately after the lump is lit, put in your Plate Setter and drip pan with liquid in it. These items affect the internal temp of the Egg and it's best to warm up everything at once.[p]3. If your drip pan is large enough, you can just place the ribs on the grid. Using a V Rack will give you a smaller "footprint" so the edges of the ribs are less likely to get charred. Also, it raises the ribs higher up into the dome which can be nice but not necessary for ribs.[p]4. when you wrap them, I stack the racks ontop of each other and wrap tightly in foil. You can add some apple juice or whatever you choose into the foil with them if you'd like.[p]Another good thing to have is a spray bottle filled with a mixture of your choice (I use 8 parts apple juice and 1 part cider vinegar) to spritz the ribs with in the first 3 hours. I do it every 30 mins after the first hour (from Dizzy Pig). Just adds a little flavor and helps with the color and crust.[p]Good luck!
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    JBuffett,[p]I'm not sure about anyone else..but The first thing I do is clean out the egg and put in fresh lump...[p]Then I start the lump...and let it burn for 30 mins or more to get the fire stabilized...around 250..[p]Then when I am ready to put the ribs on I put the wood chips in then I put the plate setter legs up ...my drip pan and put a couple of cups of apple juice..next goes the grate and then the ribs..I use a rib rack...[p]then I close the lid and wait..[p]Now since the plate setter is cold the temp will drop a little...but that shouldn't be a problem.[p]I am sure others will have a better way to do it...
  • Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    DSCN0829.JPG?dc=4675516745702999178
    <p />JBuffett, First, light your lump without any smoking wood on it. Close the egg and let it slowly rise up to 225 or 250. then let it settle at 225-250 for a while and make sure no smoke is visible. Now you have a stable fire--very important for good flavor and temp control.
    Now, add your smoking wood, plate setter, meat and etc. Do this without changing your upper or lower vent settings. When you close your grill, your temp will be much lower due to the cool setter, meat etc., but it will slowly climb back in to your desired level.[p]I dont use a v-rack or drip pan, so I cant help you there. I just put my ribs on the grill over the inverted plate setter. Have fun, Scott

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    JBuffett,[p]I'm also pretty much a newbie. For me the hardest thing has been getting a low and stable temperature. I make sure I have my ribs all cleaned and rubbed before starting the fire. I watch it carefully, and when I see the dome temp reach about 225, I start closing down the vents, so that the temperature increase levels off at about 250.[p]I drop on a chunk of hickory and the I place a "drip pan" made of folded heavy duty foil on the lower grill, and place the ribs on the upper grill. I've been doing a lot of ribs at once, and so I've mostly been placing them on their sides in the inverted V rack.[p]I stick around for awhile to make sure the temp gets back stable to 240-250. If I take too long putting everything in, the influx of air can make the temp jump up to 300, and its a bit of work dampening the fire down to get it back to 250. However, I've found that once you get the temperature stable, you can go away for an hour or so. As the meat cooks, and the fire grows, the temps seem to climb slowly.[p]Midway through the 3 phase, I turn the ribs, stabilize, and go away again. The first couple of times, I had a Maverick remote probe on the grill just to make sure I knew the temperature was steady.[p]I've braised the ribs both in foil pouches and all stacked in a foil pan sealed with foil. Both have worked well, but I think the pan worked a little better.[p]The finishing is pretty straightforward grilling. Mop-turn-mop-turn-mop-turn-sauce.[p]good cookin'[p]gdenby
  • Unknown
    Options
    CT Grillguy,[p]Thanks very much for the help!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Borders ,
    I'm a newbe, If you don't use a drip pan over the plate setter what happens to all them drippins?

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Duckegg,
    It becomes a mess. Just line in with foil and turn the edges up a bit so the fat does not drip into the hot lump. After the cook, let it cool and throw it away.[p]Cheers,
    Bordello

• Unknown
    Options
    Bordello,
    Thanks, I've got my plate setter on order. I'd hate to screw it all up first time out.

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    Duckegg, they just hit the plate setter and get cooked off on my next pizza cook. If I'm cooking butts or brisket that will produce lots of fats, then I'll use a drip pan.