Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Controlling temp with DIGI Q

Options
Am new with BGE and DIGI Q. I am testing them out today to see how they work because i want to do a boston butt this weekend. Just a practice run, not cooking anything. Have temp set at 225. About 3 hours ago the temp jumped to 235 and the went back to 225. Just a few minutes ago it was at 259. Is this normal ? Am i doing something wrong ?

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    You have to really close it down almost completely to maintain temps under 250. BTW, there is no reason to do so. temps of 250-275 are quite low for pork butts. Cooking on the Egg is different than the other types of smokers. The Egg retains much more moisture during the cook due to its ceramic structure and low air flow environment. No worries at all.
  • Alsgrillmate
    Options
    An hour later and its back to234. Maybe i'll try raising the set temp to250 and see if it will hold steady. By the way i have the controller fan set 1/3 open and the daisy wheel only open a crack.
  • Alsgrillmate
    Options
    Just raised the set point to 250. We'll see how it acts here.
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Keep in mind that if your set point is say 230, once the Digi reaches 226 degrees, it will automatically display 230 degrees, which in all reality the temp is somewhere between 226 and 230 degrees.  Make sense?
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    IMO, you are just 'overthinking' things, the Digi Q is an awesome temp controller. If you let it, it will 'do it's thing' smoothly and effortlessly.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Alsgrillmate
    Options
    Just trying to figure out whats going to work best this weekend for my boston butts. Set temp of 250 seems to be holding steady. Thanks everyone for your help.
  • CharleyR
    Options
    Sorry, I have to agree with the guy that said you're over thinking this.  You seem to value steady temps over being in your desired range.  Both ranges are perfectly acceptable, but if you desire the 230 range then set it at 230.  Regardless of fluctuations, you'll generally be where you want.  Flare ups and ignition of wood chunks can all cause temporary spikes in temp, but it's all still good.  Set it where you want it and sit back and chill with a cold one...you'll love the convenience.  
    Large BGE 2013; Mini Max 2015; Adj Rig; DigiQ
    Ample supply of bourbon and cigars!
    Naperville, IL
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Am new with BGE and DIGI Q. I am testing them out today to see how they work because i want to do a boston butt this weekend. Just a practice run, not cooking anything. Have temp set at 225. About 3 hours ago the temp jumped to 235 and the went back to 225. Just a few minutes ago it was at 259. Is this normal ? Am i doing something wrong ?

Make sure the damper on the Pit Viper is not wide open. You should see only two lines on the damper. Also make sure your daisy wheel is only open a sliver.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Make sure daisy wheel openings are like slivers of watermelon seeds....
  • SOUTHERNLINKSBBQ
    Options
    When using the digi q i always light my lump in one place in the front by the blower. It will then burn in a straight line front to back rather than in a circle if you light in the middle. Lump will last longer and less likely to spike in temp.