Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to go from 400 Dome temp to 300 in fifteen seconds...

I put on a roast at 1:30 or so, at a slow temp, 300.

Just went up to check on it, and I had let it get away to 400.

So I opened the egg, took out the grate (which had the vee rack and the roast resting on it), and set that aside.  I lifted the plate setter and rested it on the gasket.

...aaaand then poured about four ounces of tap water onto a portion of the burning lump.  it steamed and kicked up a small amount of ash, but otherwise no issues. Left about half or more of the fire burning.

I replaced the platesetter, grid with rack and meat, and shut the dome.

And because I had a little water left in the cup, I dumped it on the dome just to take the edge off.

Settled in at 300.  Total time invested was about fifteen seconds.
YMMV

(oh, and the drippings on the PS are brown, not black and burning.  Remembered the wife wants gravy, so i now have a foil drip pan in there.)
[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Perfect cook!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Don't forget to put salt in your drip pan!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    I'd be worried about hitting the hot ceramic with the water, don't know if that would cause it to shatter, or not.   :s

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I WANT your pic at Gillette pouring ice water out of a cooler into a hot egg. You posted it on the old forum once upon a time. I have looked several times and can't find it. Please repost.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    bgebrent said:
    i have a drip pan filled with salt nested inside another pan half filled with sand, and space shuttle foam blocks under that, on my foil-lined platesetter.

I actually set my drip pan outside of my egg.  Never had burned drippings since.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Amazing.
    Your egg is magical.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• no magic in pouring water into an egg.

everything else though, is pure BGE wizardry.

it's only the later eggs that need all the hand holding.  lucky i got an earlier one
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323

So I opened the egg, took out the grate (which had the vee rack and the roast resting on it), and set that aside.  I lifted the plate setter and rested it on the gasket.

...aaaand then poured about four ounces of tap water onto a portion of the burning lump.  it steamed and kicked up a small amount of ash, but otherwise no issues. Left about half or more of the fire burning.

And because I had a little water left in the cup, I dumped it on the dome just to take the edge off...
    Next time go for a bucketful:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Nimble under pressure
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    no magic in pouring water into an egg.

everything else though, is pure BGE wizardry.

it's only the later eggs that need all the hand holding.  lucky i got an earlier one
    Must've been the Rockwood then.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Impressive, probably took you longer than fifteen seconds to post it?!
    canuckland
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    bgebrent said:
    i have a drip pan filled with salt nested inside another pan half filled with sand, and space shuttle foam blocks under that, on my foil-lined platesetter.

I'm calling BS on this!  ;)

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• I think it was Ron who suggested this, but you can also toss in some soaked wood chips and that will lower the temps if you overshoot. I was running too hot before putting some ribs on one time and dumping a beer in the drip pan did the trick for bringing the temp down quickly after also adjusting the vent settings.
    Stillwater, MN
  • A long time ago an Egger said he put a load of ice cubes in the drip pan or somewhere, and that took the temp down really fast.
    Judy in San Diego
  • I think it was Ron who suggested this, but you can also toss in some soaked wood chips and that will lower the temps if you overshoot. I was running too hot before putting some ribs on one time and dumping a beer in the drip pan did the trick for bringing the temp down quickly after also adjusting the vent settings.
    I'm liking this method best as a more "gentle" way to lower temp...
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    bgebrent said:

Like all people that think they’re good cooks you’re a liar, always with the leaving out of some crucial ingredient or step like the emu neck hair with bromated hemp cooking quilt I just know you put between the two pans for precise temperature stabilization, you’re pathetic

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    I use hose in circles around the Daisey wheel. 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    You're all a bunch of morons. Obviously, Yeti Ice is the best way to cool down an overheated egg. 

You're welcome. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Yeah. That's RRPs trick. And a good one. 
    I don't have soaked stuff on hand and just decided to dump straight on it.

• HeavyG said:

And because I had a little water left in the cup, I dumped it on the dome just to take the edge off...
    Next time go for a bucketful:

Pretty much how Bruce told me they test the things. 
    Leaf blower in the lower vent to get to 1000+, then icewater deluge

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I think it was Ron who suggested this, but you can also toss in some soaked wood chips and that will lower the temps if you overshoot. I was running too hot before putting some ribs on one time and dumping a beer in the drip pan did the trick for bringing the temp down quickly after also adjusting the vent settings.
    Why waste a beer. Just use water. 

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Maybe it was coors light - it's kinda both
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Room temp water on HOT ceramic sounds like a fine way to CRACK IT.  Instantly.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    the small amount (4 oz) met the burning lump first, probably superheated or vaporized (vapourised?) before touching the ceramic?
    canuckland
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    edited September 2016
    Begger said:

Did you look at the post a few posts earlier than yours?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Begger said:

And yet it doesn't.  

Things things function in the rain And snow

• the small amount (4 oz) met the burning lump first, probably superheated or vaporized (vapourised?) before touching the ceramic?
    You can dump it in the egg in large volume. Or on it

These things aren't egg shells

unless of course again it is my magic BGE that makes it possible. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Begger said:

And yet it doesn't.  

Things things function in the rain And snow
    There may be a difference between hitting the ceramic with water on the Outside, versus the Inside; the outside rarely gets too hot to touch, and a healthy fire to heat the outside that much may run out of fuel before that high heat "soaks" to the outside surface of the egg, I dunno.  
    And many of you have had your eggs crack for no reason.  Why stress it unnecessarily?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• funny thing is all the empirical and scientific experience that shows it is safe. 

But i will put you down as a 'no'