Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone use these fire starters?

Options
I saw these at BJ's and figured I'd try them. They light easily, burn HOT and get the lump going quickly. They also seem to burn up completely and not leave any evidence behind like some other ones I've tried. I know not everyone here is a fan of using any starters, but these seem to work well for me. Just thought I'd share. 

KJ Classic and BGE MiniMax
Southeastern, MA

Comments

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up! I haven't had much luck with fire starters but may give these a try based on your recommendation.  I've done fire starters, weed burners, paper towels soaked in oil, and just about everything you can imagine.  Thus far, I haven't found anything that beats the plain ol' electric starter.  But I am gonna give these a try.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    I've made my own by filling cardboard egg cartons with pistachio shells and dryer lint,  then fill with wax melted from old candles. Works like a dream. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Golfguy77
    Options
    Try a twisted up paper towel that's soaked in vegetable oil.  Works like a charm and costs next to nothing.
  • AintEZbeingme
    Options
    use them and love them.(sometimes hard to find). light easy and decently priced
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE

• Seapointbakers
    Options
    I picked up a box at BJ's as well. I think they work great. I use them for my low and slows.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Cost, and where did you buy them?  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    CTMike said:
    I've made my own by filling cardboard egg cartons with pistachio shells and dryer lint,  then fill with wax melted from old candles. Works like a dream. 
    Man you've got a lot of free time! 
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    I get rutland fire starters off amazon. You get 144 of them for $20

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    CTMike said:

The only lint I collect is belly button.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • flyerdoc
    Options
    Got them from BJ's as well, very pleasantly surprised at how well they work. Very easy to light and they get the charcoal nice and hot fairly quickly. I will buy more next time I'm at BJ's. I was hoping to score an end of the season sale so time will tell :)
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 235
    Options
    I get rutland fire starters off amazon. You get 144 of them for $20
    +1 for this.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR