Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

sizing the egg for me.

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How do you determine the size for your needs. There is just the wife and me. However need to plan on guests and of course thanks giving. Is bigger necessarily better or are 2 eventually better than one larger one???[p]Martin in Rochester.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    martin ,
    I'd strongly suggest you get a Large BGE vs. two small ones. That will determine the size of the bird you can cook at Thanksgiving and the size of a pizza that you can cook. You may then wish, like many of us have done, to get a Small BGE as a little brother to the Large for cooking things at the same time but at different temps, for smaller cooks for you and the wife, and of course the small Egg is almost transportable, so you can take it with you. Good luck![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • martin ,[p]LARGE! I have 1 lg and want another some day. I have four "eaters" in my house and can easily handle company. It's just such a versatile size.[p]Perhaps I will get a small or another Lg to give me more versatility?
  • MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    Legally Blind Egghead,[p]That is what I did, I added a large to complent my large. Lets me have a low and slow going while I cook steaks, or have corn cooking while I am doing chicken for the family.[p]Even when it was just me and my one son most of the time, the large was great....
  • jimmy
    jimmy Posts: 34
    I went with the XL. It is huge. 23" cooking surface. I can smoke two 16lb butts easily. It will also burn for 24 hrs easily......I would venture to say it can burn @ 225 for 30 hrs no problem. I am new to the egg community but not to BBQ. The egg has been great.
  • EdF
    EdF Posts: 121
    I have my wife, sometimes my son, sometimes company, and the large. It's very versatile and covers just about everything except bigger company (in which case I wish I had another large). That's my recommendation. I hadn't even heard about the XL until the last week or so. Could be interesting.

- Ed
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    martin , If I could start over I would have the large I thought it would be to big so I went with the medium, not unhappy just sometimes need more room
    Gerry

• jimmy
    jimmy Posts: 34
    Let me tell you.......XL all the way
  • martin ,
    I have 1 large and want another(when people find out you are cooking there will never be enough room:)