Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Poultry Night Results...

Ranger1
Ranger1 Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, the chicken won't go down in any history books as being an earth shattering event. Cooking over the firebricks caused the time for the whole cook to run way too long on a school night. As far as the overall quality of the meat; I'd only give it a 7 out of 10. Not enough time with the Dale's. Color was great and it did taste good, but certainly not one of my better efforts! Alas, the next challenge is just around the bend....r1

Comments

• Ranger1, It's the minor highs that make the major highs good. If you get it perfect everytime, you would be bored. Trust me I know... Heeehee! :^)

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Ranger1,
    Were they pieces?? I cook my chicken pieces at 400 indirect. Up to 450 with great results. Finish them up direct if you like them slightly charred. What temp did you cook them at??

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Ranger1, I followed your example as you already know, Dales Marinate and I did these at 375 to 400 degrees over drip pan on my Bakers rack. I marinated about 4 hours, and they cooked about 1.5 hours. Not crispy, but so tender and juicy. I think next time I will push it to 450 minimum. The color was gorgeous mahogany brown. Those and the Supreme Italian French Bread made in the BGE was a real meal tonight. Dr Chicken will have to post his recipe for it..I modified the dough making, but the basics are his..Thanks Dave for the recipe.
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody,
    You my man are entirely welcome C~W! I'll try and post both recipes tomorrow! That is the one you let rise overnight in the fridge ain't it? I'm glad it came out right for you! My wife, son and I are partial to the Italian style French. I think you'll see the same thing![p]Dr. C

• Dr. Chicken, Next time the cold rise..but this time I was in a hurry :-) That baby came right out of the mixer, flattened out on the counter and rolled up into a tube. Then back sliced, and into the preheated oven at 100F for a hour while the BGE cranked up the heat on the bricks.
    I stole another slice a little while ago, and probably another before bed time :-) I sure like that melted snow for yeast.. I didn't use the dry mix yeast approach. I made up the yeast in liquid and added it to the Kitchen aid and blended it with the dry ingredients. Then while running on low side, I added the rest of melted snow water to the mix gradually till the dough climbs the dough hook..very gingerly adding water at the end. Made a beautiful ball and let it flip flop thru the kneading process for about 5 minutes..Then flattened it out and rolled it. Dang it looked and tasted great..Mucho gracias..
    BTW..I used combo sesame seeds and the bitty black ones on the outside :-)
    (Melted snow water clearly isn't everybodys balliwick..hee)

• C~W,
    I like the combination of sesame & poopy seeds too. They give an excellent toasted taste too. That bread has probably the best taste of any bread, other than sourdough that I've ever tasted. I'm glad you liked it and it turned out ok. Let me know what you think of the basic French! It must be gettin' close to the unveiling of the sourdough starter. How many days now? You're gona like that![p]Dr. C