Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite smoked salmon recipes??

Options
bhedges1987
bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
edited August 2016 in EggHead Forum
Looking for your favorite smoked salmon recipe.

Normally just go raised direct on a plank. I want to switch things up this week so seeing if anyone has a recipe that's tired and true.

If not, looking for some tips for doing this on the egg. 

Fish is out of my comfort zone, this is cattle country. 

Thanks in advance 

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Raging river by DP
    Butter 
    Pure maple syrup
    Some garlic

Money! 

Raised direct
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Use a brine recipe as follows: 4 cups water; 1/4 cup kosher salt (standard brine ratio); 1/4 cup brown sugar; couple of bay leaves; 1/2 T thyme, 1 T fresh cracked pepper corns.  (I try to mix the brine the night before to let things dissolve).
    Toss in the salmon for around 5-6 hours(shake the container several times), then rinse off the cracked pepper corns and air-dry in a fan driven breeze on a cooling rack (with a zip-lic bag of ice underneath if in the warm weather) for a couple of hours-this forms the pellicle.
    After that-hot smoke (easiest on the BGE) at a dome of around 220*F (indirect) til the thickest part of the fillet hits around 135*F( around 75 mins) -serve hot or cold. FWIW-

Has a solid salmon flavor so if not your thing then hit the delete option.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Use a brine recipe as follows: 4 cups water; 1/4 cup kosher salt (standard brine ratio); 1/4 cup brown sugar; couple of bay leaves; 1/2 T thyme, 1 T fresh cracked pepper corns.  (I try to mix the brine the night before to let things dissolve).
    Toss in the salmon for around 5-6 hours(shake the container several times), then rinse off the cracked pepper corns and air-dry in a fan driven breeze on a cooling rack (with a zip-lic bag of ice underneath if in the warm weather) for a couple of hours-this forms the pellicle.
    After that-hot smoke (easiest on the BGE) at a dome of around 220*F (indirect) til the thickest part of the fillet hits around 135*F( around 75 mins) -serve hot or cold. FWIW-

Has a solid salmon flavor so if not your thing then hit the delete option.  ;)
    I figured the brine would take some of the salmon flavor out of it? 

Does salmon have less fish taste of its smoked vs planked direct? Not sure which to buy from Costco between the farm and wild caught salmon. 

I dont mind the flavor, swmbo doesn't like a strong fish taste. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    The above has the salmon flavor as it is not in the brine too long but salmon has a unique flavor profile that seems to always win out.  
    Regarding the planked or smoked-just did a planked (cedar) cook this past week (on a request).  I would say you get a more subtle flavor with the smoked process.
    I can't recall the cost delta at Costco but if it's up there, I would go with the farm-likely less "salmon" taste-  
    All that said, If she is not into a strong fish taste-I would go with a white fish as they have a less pronounced "fish" flavor.  Salmon is like scotch or bourbon-you either like it or you don't.  Doesn't lend itself to a middle ground, at least in my experience.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    Options
    Check this out and see what you think. Lets us know how it comes out....good luck!
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1185441/grilled-smoked-sockeye-salmon#latest
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    For the most part, I am not a very good cook.  However, every time I do this salmon recipe ... and I do mean EVERY time ... the folks that eat it rave about and tell me I should open my own restaurant ... it is THAT good.

http://dizzypigbbq.com/portfolio/raging-river-maplebutter-crusted-salmon/
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,513
    Options
    My favourite, it takes days though:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/smokedsalmon.htm
    canuckland
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    My favourite, it takes days though:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/smokedsalmon.htm
    Agree.  Success takes time and effort.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @bhedges1987
    Have you ever tried a 5 day cure and then cold smoking? In this fat boys opinion, it takes salmon to a whole new level. And the beauty of curing is it will work equally well on fresh or previously frozen fish. Brining fish that has been previously frozen can leave the texture somewhat lacking. This is not the case with a cure. You can eat the cured fish as is after smoking, or you can finish it with a glaze of anything from honey to money. The sky is the limit. 
    To be clear above, brining is great for fresh fish. I just don't care for the mushy texture it can impart on fish that have been previously frozen. And when I say cold smoking I'm not speaking of true cold smoking. But rather smoking between 145-160 degrees instead of the more normal temps used for Q. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Canugghead
    Options
    @SGH  I followed the above recipe, then smoke at around 180-190 for at least 7 or 8 hours till really dry, takes away the 'fishiness' and 'sliminess'. When we served it at eggfests, even some salmon-haters loved it  :)  
    Yes, always start with fresh, but freezes well after smoking as described.
    canuckland
  • Luke_dogs
    Options
    My simplest cook is my smoked salmon. Kosher salt and heavy on the hickory wood. 200 - 225 for between 60 & 75 minutes..  Slam it on to a bagel for breakfast - top notch!
  • SGH
    Options
    @SGH  I followed the above recipe, then smoke at around 180-190 for at least 7 or 8 hours till really dry, takes away the 'fishiness' and 'sliminess'. When we served it at eggfests, even some salmon-haters loved it  :)  
    Yes, always start with fresh, but freezes well after smoking as described.
    Do you do the 5 day cure?

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Canugghead
    Options
    @SGH not the 5 day cure, I followed the recipe in Naked Whiz posted in above link. Would love to learn about your 5-day cure. 
    canuckland
  • SGH
    Options
    @SGH not the 5 day cure, I followed the recipe in Naked Whiz posted in above link. Would love to learn about your 5-day cure. 
    The cure is stupid simple.  
    1 cup non iodized salt.
    4 cups brown sugar.  
    To prepare the fish, simply cut it into 2 inch strips length wise. What I mean by this is if you have a piece of salmon 12 inches long and 6 inches wide, simply cut it so you have 3 pieces 12 inches long and 2 inches wide. Strips will cure better than the whole slab.
    Simply place the strips in a plastic container and pack them with the cure. When you are sure that you have used to much cure, add some more cure. You can't use to much.
    Place in the fridge for 5 days. One note, everyday take the fish out of the fridge and shuffle them around in the cure to insure even curing. At the end of 5 days, do not rinse the cure off with water. Simply wipe it off. Then slow smoke.  
    If you ever get the chance, give this curing, cool smoke method a shot. I think that you will be well pleased.  

Status- Standing by.

• Canugghead
    Options
    @SGH Thanks, bookmarked.
    canuckland
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    Thanks for all the recipes and tips 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Good recipes above; here's a sauce I've developed that's the only "keeper" I've ever come up with:
    1/2 cup mayo
    1 finely minced chipotle pepper
    2-3 tsps honey or agave nectar
    sometimes I add parsley and/or chives, sometimes not

Simply mix together and let set a couple hours in the fridge to get happy.  Love this sauce on any smoked salmon.
    I've never tried brining, I usually just salt/pepper and smoke, skin-side down, on an alder board soaked in water overnight.  When the white yucky stuff starts collecting on the fish surface, you're done.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Canugghead
    Options
    Botch said:
    ...  When the white yucky stuff starts collecting on the fish surface, you're done.  
    True that, for hot smoking/cooking. For low and slow I go for hours  :)

canuckland
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    I use the following as my base recipe:
    2 cups light brown sugar
    1 cup salt
    1 tsp ginger
    1 tsp white pepper
    1 tbls diced garlic
    2 bay leaves (crushed)

Cut your salmon into fillets and then cover with the above mixture - refrigerate for 24 hours. Then remove from the liquid (it will go from a brine dry to a liquid quickly) and rinse. Then place back in the fridge for 12-24 hours to allow the pellicle to develop. Then smoke indirect at 225 for 3-4 hours, checking every hour to rotate for even color/heat distribution. 

I make this every Christmas season and give away as gifts, never any leftovers!
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker