Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

22LB Whole Pork Shoulder (pre-trim) for next Saturday.

Don_Piero
Don_Piero Posts: 97
edited August 2016 in EggHead Forum
Aiming to have this cooked for 5-6pm on Saturday Aug.27. I plan to take it out of the freezer today and defrost in the fridge.  On the Thursday I want to apply a mustard coat and rub .

I plan on removing most of the skin and trimming some excess fat and blood knots; this could be about 20lbs post trimmed.

Question: Am I going to be able to get this done in 20 hours or less without wrapping?   I was thinking of cooking this at 260F. 

Also, I was going to partially fill up the drip pan with water/n/juice.  A friend mentioned that leaving the drip pan empty without moisture, will provide a better cook and be more efficient on the charcoal. 

Your comments would be appreciated.
Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE

Comments

• Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    I did one of these a few weeks ago. I trimmed the hard fat similar to trimming a brisket, then treated it like it was a normal pork butt. If I recall correctly, I smoked it at 250-275 for approximately 18 hrs, unwrapped. It weighed 18-20 lbs. I don't put any water in the drip pan.
  • Thanks Cashfan.  Here is my Johnny Cash Story.  In the mid 1980`s I worked for Canada Trust, a Canadian Bank who`s head office was in London, Ontario. Johnny`s agent Saul Israel Holiff was from London Ontario and I guess he had a connection with Canada Trust.  Canada Trust`s first banking machines were called Johnny Cash money machines
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEPfxI0BO98

Well he and June did a benefit concert for the employees in Toronto.  I would say less than 1,000 people were there. It was just standing room, no seats. I  was about 15 feet from him for the whole concert. Never really appreciated his voice until I heard him live and up-close - just amazing!!

Canada Trust has since merged with Toronto Dominion Bank (TD Bank).

Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE
  • Cashfan
    Wow. That's an awesome story. Thanks for sharing!

i wish I could have seen him live. I did not come to appreciate his music and song writing until after he was gone and I listened to "Live at San Quentin" and "Live at Folsum Prison" around 2005. Listened to those cd's for months non stop, his music literally changed my life in ways I won't go into here. I have close to 100 hours of his music and still listen often. It never gets old to me.
  • Spent my life in banking.....the closest I ever got to "Cash" was when I trained on the teller line.
    Hello, from New Orleans!!  
    "Land of pralines, red beans, creole queens & pinball machines."
  • Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE
  • Cooked this in about 21 hours. Cooked overnight at 250 and then reduced it to 230 for the last 6 hours. Cooked without anything in the drip pan.  Came out excellent.
  • Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Only thing I put in my drip pan is hdaf.  Your shoulder looks great!  Nice cook.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    When doing a pork picnic shoulder, I leave the skin on. I cut through it about 2 inches apart in a diagonal pattern. I removes easy after it's cooked and provides a layer of protection during the cook.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    That looks great!!!

And that grate looks extraordinarily clean.....
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Cashfan
    Looks awesome!! Glad it worked out well for you!