Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice on buying a rick of wood.

I want to buy  wood and was looking on craiglist which has it in the size of a rick, which is way more than I need. I will be dividing the wood with at least 6 other and the list continues to grow. I have never bought wood in a rick size. Would that work for smoking? I assume it would work. What are your thoughts? Are there any issues that I should be aware of? I've read that the wood should be seasoned or dried out. Another concern is that most chunks are approximately 16 inches long? 

James, Louisville KY

Comments

• dan1944
    dan1944 Posts: 1
    Do not know but would like to have this info tks
  • DanO08
    DanO08 Posts: 15
    Generally wood is cut to a length of 16 inches and stacked in a cord. A cord is 4 feet tall by  8 feet long by 4 feet deep. This is roughly 3 rows of wood deep. Volume on a cord is 128 cubic feet. The Rick is a face or one row of a cord. So 4 feet tall by 8 foot long. A lot of time when you buy wood split for fires the sizes of each piece will very dramatically and is not good size for smoking. You will probably have to spend some time splitting the wood down to size. Depending on how much you cook I wouldn't add more than 6 people to your order if you want to have enough wood to last awhile.  You definitely need the wood to be seasoned. Preferably the would needs to be split for a year to season up. 6 months is my minimum for my fire place and there is still moisture  in the wood. For smoking to get a good cook I need a year. But that is all dependent on the size of the cuts of wood too. If you are going to cut it to small chunks then it should season in just a few months. 

I would be leary of purchasing wood off Craigslist.  Generally the person isn't really going to know what kind it is and just making a guess. They also don't know what to look for, you could end up with bugs that can effect the cooks or even infest your vegetation at your house. Virtually all tree companies sell wood for a reasonable price. I would recommend buying from them. They also usually sell smaller cuts for those of who smoke.
    XLBGE
    Mini Max
    Weber Kettle (rarely in action since the Mini Max addition)
    Fort Worth, TX

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    In Missouri it's illegal to advertise and sell firewood by anything else but a measurement of "cord".  A cord is 8x4x4 with the wood TIGHT stacked.  That's three rows of 16" cuts all parallel to each other.  You cannot sell it by the "rank" or "rick", which is also known as a "face cord" (which is 1/3 of a cord).

You also cannot call it a "1/3 cord" if you crosshatch the, 3-across then stack 3-deep on top as there is plenty of air space.  Plus, a lot of the Craigslist guys will only stack it 2-deep to lower the tonnage, then claim it's for airflow if you say anything.

Lot of scammers out there, keep a look out.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984

This is two ricks. Seasoned one year. Check the "face" of the cut log for splits. If it has those natural cracks or splits, generally the wood is seasoned enough to use.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Surface cracks don't mean much as to dryness. You can buy a cheap moisture meter at harbor freight for about $15.00. You need to check it on a fresh split. Meaning you need to split a piece in half and go with the grain to see if it's dry. Most people on craigslist regretfully advertise as dry and they are not. I have learned from experience. Good luck. 
  • You don't need to season it to smoke with it fwiw (but you sure do for burning in a woodstove or fireplace)
  • YukonRon
    You don't need to season it to smoke with it fwiw (but you sure do for burning in a woodstove or fireplace)
    Absolutely. When I use wood for smoking, i do not like it as if it were kiln dried. I use a lot of peach, pecan and sugar maple. Too dry and it tastes more bitter to me.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    compare prices, make sure the seller knows what kind of wood he has. I bought a 1/4 cord for backyard fires at my house. The seller, who was very nice, had a huge lumber pile, he had no idea what types of wood he had. For cooking I'd want to know what I was using. For campfires I don't care as much.
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • A 1/3 cord split by 6 people is pretty tiny.  I guess unless your cutting it in chunks for your egg and then it would last a while. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• If you buy cherry off Craig's list they can't scam you. Stuff smells strong !

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• In Missouri it's illegal to advertise and sell firewood by anything else but a measurement of "cord".  A cord is 8x4x4 with the wood TIGHT stacked.  That's three rows of 16" cuts all parallel to each other.  You cannot sell it by the "rank" or "rick", which is also known as a "face cord" (which is 1/3 of a cord).

You also cannot call it a "1/3 cord" if you crosshatch the, 3-across then stack 3-deep on top as there is plenty of air space.  Plus, a lot of the Craigslist guys will only stack it 2-deep to lower the tonnage, then claim it's for airflow if you say anything.

Need idea why @nolaegghead would flag - definitely great input here...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    only problem is if the pieces are too big fot say a miter saw or whatever saw you have. be aware they probably used a chain saw and there will be some chain oil soaked in. not really a problem for me. buy 4 cord and build one of these, mine will be full this weekend, mostly oak and maple

051.jpg 510.9K
    055.jpg 924.3K
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YukonRon
    only problem is if the pieces are too big fot say a miter saw or whatever saw you have. be aware they probably used a chain saw and there will be some chain oil soaked in. not really a problem for me. buy 4 cord and build one of these, mine will be full this weekend, mostly oak and maple

Nice. Perfect for seasoning wood with all the vented sides. Another project on the horizon for me.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    In Missouri it's illegal to advertise and sell firewood by anything else but a measurement of "cord".  A cord is 8x4x4 with the wood TIGHT stacked.  That's three rows of 16" cuts all parallel to each other.  You cannot sell it by the "rank" or "rick", which is also known as a "face cord" (which is 1/3 of a cord).

I didn't know I flagged it.  Unflagged. 
  • In Missouri it's illegal to advertise and sell firewood by anything else but a measurement of "cord".  A cord is 8x4x4 with the wood TIGHT stacked.  That's three rows of 16" cuts all parallel to each other.  You cannot sell it by the "rank" or "rick", which is also known as a "face cord" (which is 1/3 of a cord).

I didn't know I flagged it.  Unflagged. 
    I figured, man. :)
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2016
    I have bought wood off CL, gotten wood from friends, and have recently found a great hardwood operation in IA.  A field guide similar to, like a Mushrooms Demystified, would be great for identification.

Best advice, learn about the species and cut sizing, so you know what you're getting.  My dealings so far have been great.  I know 100% what I am getting.  If I don't, I walk.  Have just missed, by hours, a free pear tree that was already cut.  People will post free stuff just to move it.  CL is worth a look for sure. 

My setup consists of a few free Quikrete pallets from my guys at Lowe's, and two Harbor Freight tarps that were $6 each.  I leave the sides open for airflow, and use a few extra patio pavers to keep the tarp in place. 

Oh, and buy this and Stihl BioPlus Bar Lube.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BANMUY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the little amount of wood a BGE burns through, you may want to stick to the bags at the store.  Even divided, this is a sh!t ton of wood to egg with. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2016
    If you buy cherry off Craig's list they can't scam you. Stuff smells strong !
    What does it smell like?
    Could never tell an odor difference from fresh cut or seasoned black cherry, wild cherry, apple, mulberry.  Reddish hue, and the bees loving it, are more of a giveaway.  

It is my preferred KBQ wood choice, a pleasant aroma.  It can also put on a nice hue to your que for presentation, the main reason I go to it.  It's pretty hard to decipher burning smokewoods.  Kind of cute at times, the guys pairing Noah's Ark chunks with lamb. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• One more point to consider.  Here in Ky. there is a ton of wood from ash trees on the market due to almost all our ash trees having been destroyed by the emerald ash borer.  Most are now doted and rotten even if standing.  It has always been one of my favorite woods to cut for firewood since it splits so easily.  However, it is now difficult to find an ash tree that is still solid.  Many property owners are giving the wood away to anyone willing to cut and remove it.  I would want to make a close inspection of any firewood before I purchased it.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• Focker said:
    If you buy cherry off Craig's list they can't scam you. Stuff smells strong !
    What does it smell like?
    Could never tell an odor difference from fresh cut or seasoned black cherry, wild cherry, apple, mulberry.  Reddish hue, and the bees loving it, are more of a giveaway.  

It is my preferred KBQ wood choice, a pleasant aroma.  It can also put on a nice hue to your que for presentation, the main reason I go to it.  It's pretty hard to decipher burning smokewoods.  Kind of cute at times, the guys pairing Noah's Ark chunks with lamb. 
    fresh cut cherry smells really sweet - almost like watermelon.  I can smell it when I walk out my back door and the wood pile is a good 30ft from the door.

I have a particularly strong sense of smell though.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg