Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MOP sauce and Finishing Sauce?

Killit_and_Grillit
Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
edited August 2016 in Sauces, Rubs, Marinades
Ive got a friend moving to Texas and leaving behind his big 200lb+ smoker he just had resprayed.  I'm going to pick it up tomorrow so this weekend I'm going to do 4 shoulders, some beef ribs, and some bacon (it's nice to have a set up with some room on it again for big cooks). I'm doing everything on Friday and serving the pulled pork Saturday (I have a thing all day Sat)

Now that I have some room I wanted to do a few side by side by side....comparisons. I never get to flat out say "I had both right next to each other and this worked best"

So, who prefers a mop sauce? I never use one on the Egg so it's been forever since I have used it to save the mess. 

Also, who uses a finishing sauce? I was going to leave 2 whole and pull one and chop one and leave in the fridge for 24 hours prior to serving. (I want to see the difference in moisture and texture on the reheat)

But I was a little concerned that putting a finishing sauce on 24 hours prior may break the meat down and make it too mushy. 

Thoughts? Anything else you would like to see/try?

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• Only bump. So nobody uses a mop or even a spray mop sauce? 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Sorry, I'm not sure I know the difference.  Sometimes I have sprayed meat with something that's relatively thin during the cook, sometimes I sauce or glaze meat toward the end of the cook. If you're coating the meat 24 hours before you cook it, isn't that marinating?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i like the taste of rubs and found mopping washes it all off, now if you take a thin mopping sauce and when the butt hits about 180, i sometimes inject and continue cooking. that gives it more a whole hog cook flavor, im not shooting for pulled sandwiches with this, more of big pieces served with warm sauce and a side of beans. this way i get the taste of the mopping and the harder crust loaded with a flavorful rub. finishing sauce on the side for those that want it verse those that dont. you have to try every method til you find the one you like, its half the fun
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    I use to mop ribs when using the gas grill. Mix of apple cider vinegar and the rub and some olive oil.  Never did a finishing/bbq sauce on them.
  • Legume said:
    Sorry, I'm not sure I know the difference.  Sometimes I have sprayed meat with something that's relatively thin during the cook, sometimes I sauce or glaze meat toward the end of the cook. If you're coating the meat 24 hours before you cook it, isn't that marinating?
    If I do 24 hour it would be just enough to spray on and keep it wet while in the fridge. Not sopping. 

South of Nashville, TN

• i like the taste of rubs and found mopping washes it all off, 
    I was a little concerned about that.

South of Nashville, TN

• smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    If you wait until the rub sets, you can mop it without washing it away.