Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any suggestions for this piece of corned beef?

Now that I have an egg, and cruising the meat department of every grocery store within a 50 mile radius is my new favorite hobby... I've been eying this piece of meat for weeks now. I love corned beef sandwiches.

Finally decided to give it a go, at my buddy @blind99's suggestion, and will probably cook it one afternoon this week. 

Anybody have any tips or favorite ways to prepare this thing? 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

Comments

• Looks like it is already sliced, no?

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    After looking at that brand's website, I think "thin cut" is referring to the flat cut.  I've never made one on my egg.  I put mine in a slow cooker, cover it with beer and cook until it's tender.  Then get some swirled pumpernickel/rye bread, cole slaw and swiss cheese, slice the corned beef and make a sandwich in a sandwich/panini press.  FWIW...
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    BBQBuddy said:
    After looking at that brand's website, I think "thin cut" is referring to the flat cut.  I've never made one on my egg.  I put mine in a slow cooker, cover it with beer and cook until it's tender.  Then get some swirled pumpernickel/rye bread, cole slaw and swiss cheese, slice the corned beef and make a sandwich in a sandwich/panini press.  FWIW...
    Yes, it's not sliced yet. 

I've done them in the slow cooker before too. Was just wondering if smoking for a few hours instead would give it a little something extra. But maybe it's not the right thing to do with brisket that's been prepped this way...? 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW said:
    Agreed. If not sliced, then pastrami. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    you want to soak it in water overnight. about 180 internal low and slow works well. pressure cooker finish makes it even better.

this one was smoked chilled and sliced

this one was smoked and sliced hot

this one was smoked to 180, chilled, then pressure cooked, better

Image result for pastrami fishlessman

this one was cured with salt only, rolled and tied, the ones with pink salt and the pressure cooked finish make the best pastrami for ruebens, this ones better with just mustard

this is my preferred brand and cut

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Pastrami !!!   Just did one last week.  Awesome stuff !

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• JacksDad

Thanks all. Guess I know what I'm doing next on the egg! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    I always did them in dutch oven with cabbage and new potatoes. Everything smelled good all day.
    Should work in the egg.

Cooking on the coast
  • JacksDad
    Here are the results of my first smoked corned beef brisket... pastrami, I guess. Soaked overnight in water in the fridge, water changed twice. Rubbed with just salt and pepper. Smoked at 275-300 with a few chunks of pecan wood. I wrapped it in foil with a little water when it got to 150. Couple hours later, pulled it off when IT was 190-200. Probably should have gone longer as it was still a little tough. Also I definitely need a deli slicer because it's hard to slice it thin like it should be. It was no Carnegie Deli masterpiece, but I'm happy with it this time, and will do better on the next one...

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    looks good. i bought a cheap 20 dollar pressure cooker for this cook, it makes a huge difference in texture. they go on sale a week after st paddys day, look for the point/thick cut, i stock up with them and freeze when they go on sale
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited August 2016
    @JacksDad,
    Looks good!!!   I have an Avantco 309 and there is also a 310 and those are fairly inexpensive (relatively speaking) slicers that do a very good job.  

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco-sl309-9-manual-gravity-feed-meat-slicer-1-4-hp/177SL309.html

I love the Danny Boy (corned beef and pastrami) at Carnegie Deli.  Great food!! and if you do go (Times Square area), take a very big appetite. That sandwich had at least 2-3 inches worth of meat. 
  • JacksDad
    onedbguru said:
    @JacksDad,
    Looks good!!!   I have an Avantco 309 and there is also a 310 and those are fairly inexpensive (relatively speaking) slicers that do a very good job.  

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco-sl309-9-manual-gravity-feed-meat-slicer-1-4-hp/177SL309.html

I love the Danny Boy (corned beef and pastrami) at Carnegie Deli.  Great food!! and if you do go (Times Square area), take a very big appetite. That sandwich had at least 2-3 inches worth of meat. 
    I would absolutely buy that slicer! Problem is, I don't have the counter space or easy storage space for it... Guess I just have to remodel the kitchen and plan got this thing!

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Pastrami did one a couple of weeks ago and everybody loved it.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    You definitely need a slicer! Think of the money you'll save making your own lunch meat. It'll pay for the addition in about 10,000 years
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • JacksDad

Alright, time for the second try at pastrami! I soaked this corned beef from Costco for 24 hrs in the fridge, then left out to dry in the fridge overnight. Going on the egg right now with some apple and pecan chunks (that's all I have on hand). I guess aiming for IT of about 200...? We shall see... (Ignore the 24 lbs of Costco pork belly in the background, that's for another post!)

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• JacksDad

Rubbed with a little salt and pepper, and the spice packet that came with it...

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• JacksDad

I declare victory with this one... This time, the pastrami was much softer. Not sure if that's because I took it all the way to 200, or it's just a better/fattier cut of meat, but I had an incredible sandwich tonight, and enough single-serve vacuum sealed packs for about 15 more lunches!

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Awesome! 
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That just made me hungry. 

Try some coriander and pepper rub (50/50).  No salt needed.
    That just made me hungry. 

Try some coriander and pepper rub (50/50).  No salt needed.
    That would be Montreal smoked meat  ;)
    canuckland
  • I'm a newbie and have never thought of preparing corned beef in the egg, I guess if you smoke it it's then considered Pastrami.  Anyway I've always bought flat cuts since the point cuts that I've had in the past are way too fatty, with fat in between every strand of muscle, or so it seemed and I have always boiled them.  For cooking on the egg, stick with flat cut or go with the fattier point cuts?  I'm putting on a St Patricks Day party and this would be perfect.
    Whale's Vagina, CA
    XL BGE - AR Rig Combo - Bunch of other things I don't know how to use...