Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick brisket question

Options
jabam
jabam Posts: 1,829
This is only the second time doing brisket. First time it was 205 and passed the probe test. 

This is time I am already at 210 and it is not probing. Do I keep cooking until it does probe easily or pull it and consider it a bad cut of meat?
Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Bump
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Some spots should be probing good??

Is this a full packer or just a flat?

Pick it up in your hands. If it's flimsy it's good to go. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• jabam
    Options
    Just a flat some places are probing good. I'm just going to pull it and wrap it and let it rest for awhile. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Good luck. Please let us know how it turns out.
    Stillwater, MN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options
    Stand-alone flats are much more of a challenge than a full packer.  If you have prior experience as it sounds like you have then you went with the right call.  Even with a packer cook, you will likely never get the entire flat to release.
    FTC can usually bring it home and I hope you get that result.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Stand-alone flats are much more of a challenge than a full packer.  If you have prior experience as it sounds like you have then you went with the right call.  Even with a packer cook, you will likely never get the entire flat to release.
    FTC can usually bring it home and I hope you get that result.  
    This. I can't tell you how ready I was to quit brisket until I saw the difference between doing a flat or a packer. 

I I did a flat I found in the freezer last week and it was rough to eat at 207. Cooked too fast at 220 and the Egg stalled due to rain. I was a little pissy because I used the last of my Grand Champion on it. I finally accepted that I needed to go buy a choice cut of meat if I wanted to do brisket right. 

I hope it was edible. Brisket can be a fickle lil b!tch. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options
    Know fat know flavor, no fat no flavor.  Not original-and can't recall to whom I should credit but the preceding is what drives a big protein cook and especially brisket.  The flat is quite lean compared to the point.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jabam
    Options
    Well I pulled the brisket at 212. Still wasn't probing well. FTC for two hours. Wasn't expecting much, but once I sliced and tasted, I was pleasantly surprised. Came out tender except for one section. Sorry I didn't think to take pics. Thanks for all your advice!!