Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bum RTIC?

dougcrann
dougcrann Posts: 1,129
Ernestina bought me a RTIC tumbler. The bigger one, think it's 30oz. Filled it with ice and water out of the fridge.  Left it outside in the shade (90* or so). 2 hours and what was a full cup of ice was reduced to half a dozen small cubes...very disappointed 

Comments

• Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Man you gotta lemon. I got the same mug, fill it with ice at 4:45 am, still almost full of ice by 4 pm.
  • @dougcrann Now that it is cold, fill it up with ice again. It will last until tomorrow. 
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    What @Hairless_Hand said. I fill mine up in the morning with ice, drive to work, fill it with water, refill 5-6 times a day, bring it home and sit it one the table. The next morning I usually have at least half a cup of ice left. I have found, that the thickness of the ice also has a lot to do with it. Thicker, more solid ice will keep a lot longer than the ice chips or thin ice. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• dougcrann
    Failed to mention in my initial comment...has been in the fridge, empty, for over 24 hours. I did refill it with ice.  In about an hour and fourth minutes the ice is more than half gone....
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    dougcrann said:
    Failed to mention in my initial comment...has been in the fridge, empty, for over 24 hours. I did refill it with ice.  In about an hour and fourth minutes the ice is more than half gone....
    does RTIC have a warranty like YETI does? If so the sooner you get a claim filed the better!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    dougcrann said:
    You might want to use your RTIC to start your egg with that much heat...no weedburner required...
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • dougcrann
    Wife has a Yeti. She can fill her room temperature cup up with the same type of ice, fill it with water from our RO  and still have ice 24 hours later...
  • dougcrann
    RRP said:
    dougcrann said:
    does RTIC have a warranty like YETI does? If so the sooner you get a claim filed the better!
    Pretty sure they do. When Ernie needs a break from sewing she will be calling...
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Are you putting the lid on? if so is it the closeable lid?
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Don't you have **** luck with BGE's too?
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    I can tell you this, these mugs won't keep stuff hot for 12 hours as advertised. 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I have a Sam's Members Mark 30 oz, fill in the morning with ice and refill with water during the day 3 times and have ice even when I get home.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Are you putting the lid on? if so is it the closeable lid?
    Good point...my RTIC will hold ice all day with lid.
    only few hour with out lid. Same as my Yeti.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Sounds like yours has lost it's vacuum.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • dougcrann
    Ernestina got an email from them. They want a picture of it, copy of receipt etc & they will be sending us a return label...and a replacement. Wonder if it will take 4 weeks to arrive like the defective one?
  • dougcrann
    Yes to the lid. Ernie put her 20oz Yeti and my 30oz RTIC in the fridge....empty last night. Filled them to capacity and put the lids on. Left them on the counter at 7 this morning. By noon mine was all water....her ice had melted enough to fill half a shot glass. House was around 80. Neither cup was in the sun...
  • dougcrann

RTIC took care of us. Initially they told Ernestina that they would be sending a return label, to date they have not. I have used the defective one for coffee...I left a mouthful or 3 in the cup last time I used it....after 3 hours it was still warm...Ernie will be washing the new one so I can try it out...hope it is not another dud...
  • dougcrann
    The replacement is as bad as the original. Washed it, put it in the freezer over night. Filled it with ice and cold water out of the fridle at about 9:25 this morning. Left it outside in my truck, sitting in the shade with the,windows half down. By 2:15 ice was all melted...I give up....
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Not sure about the RTIC but the yeti says do not put in the freezer
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    dougcrann said:
    The replacement is as bad as the original. Washed it, put it in the freezer over night. Filled it with ice and cold water out of the fridle at about 9:25 this morning. Left it outside in my truck, sitting in the shade with the,windows half down. By 2:15 ice was all melted...I give up....
    In the freezer for that long contracted the metal and likely broke the air seal. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Lit said:
    Not sure about the RTIC but the yeti says do not put in the freezer
    The little cardboard sleeve that is around each RTIC tumbler also tells users to NOT put them in the freezer or microwave or dishwasher.

Of course warnings are meaningless if one does not read them and/or ignores them.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• dougcrann
    Freezer....why the hell did I say thaat...it wouldn't fit it the freezer if you flattened it out...was in the fridge.....sitting right next to her Yeti...
    Past couple weeks have been pretty rough. Wife developed a pain in the breast that had cancer. Mammogram,  2 Ultrasounds,  trip to the Oncologist and OBGYN...no concrete answer as of yet. Her 5 year "sentence" on Tamoxifen ends on September 1. Another blood test to see how much estrogen the ovary that was left behind after her partial hysterectomy in 02 is producing. Potentially a switch of meds...and perhaps removal of the ovary. 
    But none of these answers why she has become EXTREMELY sensitive to the touch...
    I lost it today, broke down and cried my eyes out when I was alone. 
    Can't help but wonder if things will ever change...there are days I question how much more crap will be dumped on us...
    Apologies for venting...
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Stay strong. Your wife needs you. 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    edited August 2016
    @dougcrann.  We are all your buds here so vent away.  I feel bad for you and your having to deal with so much sh-t at once really sucks. Hang in there Brother.  You can gwt through it!   Vent anytime to us if itll help you.
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Hang in there @dougcrann. I went through something similar with my wife many years ago. I almost think it's harder on the caregiver/spouse than the patient since we are on the sidelines while they are fighting for their lives.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    dougcrann said:
    Freezer....why the hell did I say thaat...it wouldn't fit it the freezer if you flattened it out...was in the fridge.....sitting right next to her Yeti...
    Past couple weeks have been pretty rough. Wife developed a pain in the breast that had cancer. Mammogram,  2 Ultrasounds,  trip to the Oncologist and OBGYN...no concrete answer as of yet. Her 5 year "sentence" on Tamoxifen ends on September 1. Another blood test to see how much estrogen the ovary that was left behind after her partial hysterectomy in 02 is producing. Potentially a switch of meds...and perhaps removal of the ovary. 
    But none of these answers why she has become EXTREMELY sensitive to the touch...
    I lost it today, broke down and cried my eyes out when I was alone. 
    Can't help but wonder if things will ever change...there are days I question how much more crap will be dumped on us...
    Apologies for venting...
    Sorry to hear of this.  Hold it down my friend, and weather the sh!tstorm.  It will pass.
    Good Vybz being sent from the QC.  Hang in there bud.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."