Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making 2 and 1/2 # Brisket today

CT Grillguy
CT Grillguy Posts: 149
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm giving this a shot. Seems like a really small one, but it should be ready for dinner if all goes well. I'll add a finished pic later. Any advice on one this small?[p]Here is the little bugger all rubbed up
Rub.jpg[p]Got the Plate Setter, Drip pan, Grid
Setup.jpg[p]And a little chunk of Hickory
Wood.jpg

Comments

• CT Grillguy
    1.5 hours in and I'm already to 140 degrees internal...uh oh. Egg is stable at 230. Will this slow down?
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    CT Grillguy,[p]I think I would smoke it for about 3 hours then foil it and cook until tender. Following a good rest, if you think the bark (or lack of) needs crisping, a quick blast in a hot oven or a 400° broil should do the trick.[p]Save any juices from the foil, separate the fat and use in a table sauce.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    CT Grillguy,[p]That looks like half of a small brisket with all the fat trimmed off. It's really not going to cook like a real brisket. I'd wrap it at 160 for sure or it will be really dry.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • CT Grillguy
    drbbq,[p]Well, it has a point and was listed as a Full Brisket. So I have no idea. It's at 150 two hours in so I guess I'll wrap it at 160 and try to finish it when it's reached temp to get some bark. Will I get a plateau on this piece do you think?[p]Thanks for the suggestion!
  • drbbq
    CT Grillguy,[p]A point as in a second layer of meat? It's definitely not a full brisket, that's for sure. You can see where it's been cut. [p]I don't know, if there is a plateau it won't last long. It's really not going to teach you much about cooking a real brisket. It probably won't have much bark because you can't leave it in the cooker long enough. It'll be good to eat, but won't have the attributes of a slow cooked big fatty brisket.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    CT Grillguy,[p]Most briskets have lots of collagen in them to break down. I'd bet that at about 2.5 hours you'll hit 160, and it will just stop there for another couple of hours while the collagen collapses into gelatine. [p]gdenby

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    CT Grillguy,[p]Doh! must focus eyes... 2 1/2# brisket is tiny, that's not much collagen to melt. So let me re-phrase. It will plateau, and just sit there at 160 for awhile. If you have an external probe in it, keep an eye out, cause it will quickly get much hotter after passing through the plateau.[p]gdenby

• CT Grillguy
    gdenby,[p]It's been sitting at 150 for 45 mins after getting up to 154. This must be my plateau!!! I'll keep an eye on it. I'm going to wrap it at 160.
  • thirdeye
    CT Grillguy,[p]I'd get that little boy into some foil, it's time and the color is good. And don't pull the probe out, just wrap around it.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• CT Grillguy
    thirdeye,[p]Internal Temp is 145 down from 150. I think I'll wait until the plateau clears to foil it. Fingers crossed.
  • drbbq
    CT Grillguy,[p]It looks like somebody already ate most of it.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • CT Grillguy
    drbbq,[p]Ok, Ok, it's small. Size isn't everything.
  • thirdeye
    CT Grillguy,[p]Well, it will still go through the plateau while wrapped. The foil is mainly going to keep it moist while it finishes. Small briskets cook way different that big ones you have done.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• CT Grillguy
    thirdeye,[p]Thanks! I did wrap it around 4 hours in. It was still hovering around 145 at the time, but is now heading for home. I'm going to pack it in a cooler till dinner time.
  • thirdeye
    CT Grillguy,[p]I don't think we are are on the same page, or I am not hearing what you are saying.[p]Once foiled, you still need to cook until tender. The foil just stops it from drying out during the remainder of the cook. Once it is tender, then it goes into a cooler, still wrapped in foil (and a towel or newspaper over-wrap) to rest.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• CT Grillguy
    thirdeye,[p]No worries. What I meant was that I wrapped it and put it back on the Egg. It's still there. I'll pull it at 185+ and then drop it in the cooler. It's at 174 now.
  • drbbq
    CT Grillguy,[p]185 would be pretty early for a real brisket. Check it with a probe or a fork for tenderness. It'll prbably need to go at least to 190 and probably 195.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Leohat
    Leohat Posts: 6
    CT Grillguy,[p]It's not the size of your brisket, it's how you Egg it.[p](sorry just could not resist)