Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Berkshire Pork Shoulder

Options
Picked up a 10 pound skin on Berkshire Pork Shoulder.  I'm looking to smoke low and slow with Apple wood for smoke. Planning on 250, should I anticipate approximately 20 hours?

I've never cooked a skin on shoulder before and have a few questions.  I usually apply a mustard slather prior to my rub, should I slather the skin? Should I apply rub to the skin? I'm told the skin will crisp up during the cook so I don't know if I should add additional moisture to the skin.

Once I hit 200ish and the texture is right I can I FTC with the skin on? Won't a trip to the cooler soften up the pork skin? Anyone have experience with this?
Chicago, Illinois

Comments

• mrs_story
    mrs_story Posts: 136
    Options
    I have ZERO advice for this cook, but I'm interested in the Berkshire part of it.  I was looking at a pork belly recipe, and the guy strongly recommended Berkshire pork, if available.  I don't really know what the difference is.  Very curious to see how your cook turns out!
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I would think about scoring the skin about 1/4", rub will penetrate the skin better. 
  • KKorkmaz
    KKorkmaz Posts: 150
    Options
    Also, assuming I leave the skin on...skin side up or down in the egg???
    Chicago, Illinois
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I always cut the skin off mine and make cracklin. I think that's a better bang for your buck. Otherwise, you lose a lot of outside area on your shoulder for bark. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Dad to comment as I just bought a 4 1/2 lb boneless Berkshire shoulder, no skin, from the pork butcher at the local Amish market. He raved about the difference and gave me a decent price - we'll learn about the quality together.  Should looked fabulous when I opened it, great internal fat marbling. Just rubbed with Memphis dust (no mustard) and will rub again just before it goes on. Planning for 10 + hours around 250 based on the last small butt I cooked - but leaving room for longer and will FTC if done quicker. 
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    The world’s best pork. For over 300 years, the Berkshire hogs have been recognized as producing supreme quality gourmet pork known as “Korubuta”, or Black Pig, in Japan. The superior taste of Berkshire Pork is as prized as Kobe Beef.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Butcher said the diet was 90% acorns - can't wait to see if it is as wonderful as jamon iberico. 
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • CharleyR
    CharleyR Posts: 103
    Options
    Yes it's a great slab of pork...sounds like the picnic roast as opposed to the butt.  I always cut the skin off prior to the cook. Some people may have creative things to do with the skin, but I just pitch it.  But the roast itself should be great.  Lots of fat left after removing the skin to provide plenty of flavor.  Just make sure to score the fat cap well.  Enjoy!  In fact, I like the flavor of these picnic roasts better than the butts.  
    Large BGE 2013; Mini Max 2015; Adj Rig; DigiQ
    Ample supply of bourbon and cigars!
    Naperville, IL
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I had Birkshire sausage, tenderloin and bacon Saturday night at a restaurant in Indiana....goooood stuff !!!

They called it "The Three Pigs" on the menu !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I don't have too much experience with the skin but I cooked a picnic once with the skin on and then removed it and threw it away after.  It wasn't close to being edible when the picnic was done. It had the consistency of a football :).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    I always cut the skin off mine and make cracklin. I think that's a better bang for your buck. Otherwise, you lose a lot of outside area on your shoulder for bark. 
    Ditto on cracklin'!  Looking forward to this cook!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @KKorkmaz: Can't help but think "Grimey" every time I see your posts. "Frank Grimes, or 'Grimey,' as he liked to be called..."
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    I agree that the skin probably wouldn't be good at the end. I'd trim it off. You can use it to make cracklins or pork rinds. Pork rinds are always a hit to people that haven't seen the fried before!
  • KKorkmaz
    Options
    @KKorkmaz: Can't help but think "Grimey" every time I see your posts. "Frank Grimes, or 'Grimey,' as he liked to be called..."
    A friend of mine used to joke that I looked like Frank Grimes so I embraced the character and frequently use him as my avatar, people don't typically comment on it, hope it brings a smile to your face rather than inducing a mental meltdown like on the show!
    Chicago, Illinois
  • KKorkmaz
    Options
    Finally getting back to the forum, it's been a busy summer! I ended up leaving the skin on during the cook, as many of you mentioned it did not turn out like cracklings after 22 hours at 250. It was very tough and chewy not at all edible.  The shoulder itself was great, nice bark, very moist with a dense, rich pork flavor. It fed close to 20 people!!! The butcher mentioned the skin would protect the meat and help retain moisture...not sure if that was the case but Inwas very happy with the finished product!

Chicago, Illinois
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    I'm glad it turned out wonderful. I always hate to have to trim off part of the work/time. Skin is generally easier to get off after the cook, but that doesn't offset the lose of seasoning/bark to me.