Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon Onion ring

Options
gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
Just a shot of things for last night dinner.

I think I 1st saw bacon onion rings here, not sure. They looked good, and a week ago the local market got in some really big Vidalias. Bought 1 that was close to 6" across. Cut 2 slices from the middle, and popped out the outer 3 rings. Each ring needed 4 slices of bacon.

Also, had a nice fresh hot pepper that I stuffed w. fresh no-garlic Polish sausage. Raised direct, dome 325-ish. Flipped 2 times, each after 30 min.

Came out pretty good. I think just 2 layers of onion might have worked better. The onion wasn't quite as "melty" as I would have like. And/or maybe should have cooked hotter/longer.

The pepper was pretty good too.

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks great from here!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    You know....you just can't go wrong with those two ingredients. Beautiful. Proud of @bgebrent from restraining from telling us how great those Vidalia onions are because they are grown in Georgia. A missed opportunity. =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    You know....you just can't go wrong with those two ingredients. Beautiful. Proud of @bgebrent from restraining from telling us how great those Vidalia onions are because they are grown in Georgia. A missed opportunity. =)
    While there are other onion out there that also are pretty sweet, the Vidalias always seem the sweetest. This one was huge, bigger than a grapefruit. Should have bought more. It occurs to me that the new crop had enough big ones they could easily have been hollowed out and stuffed.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    gdenby said:
    While there are other onion out there that also are pretty sweet, the Vidalias always seem the sweetest. This one was huge, bigger than a grapefruit. Should have bought more. It occurs to me that the new crop had enough big ones they could easily have been hollowed out and stuffed.
    I am a big fan of the Vidalia's. If interested....a link to a post a while back seeking other preparation methods. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1182427/anyone-doing-anything-interesting-with-vidalia-onions-this-time-of-year#latest
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    that thing is beautiful!  planning some bacon apps for tomorrow night, that might have to go on the menu
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    I would eat those all day long.  I have made the bacon-wrapped onion rings before, but never out of a 6" Vidalia that took four slices of bacon to cover!
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Very nice!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va