Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flatiron & porterhouse results

Options
BabyBoomBBQ
BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I hit the local butcher Sat with the idea of getting a good steak. Well I shouldn't have gone in there hungry. $65 later, I left with a porterhouse, beef short ribs, a flat iron steak and a rack of babybacks. No pics of the ribs, but I don't think I'll bother with the beef short ribs again. Great taste, but I'd rather have full beef or pork ribs.[p]Here's the DP Cowlick seasoned porterhouse. It had great flavor!
2006-7porterhouse.jpg[p]I cut the flatiron up and seasoned one peice with DP Cowlick, one with DP Red Eye Express and the last with garlic salt & black pepper. Cooked direct at about 450 for about 4 minutes per side. [p]2006-7flatiron1.jpg[p]I remembered to get a cut up shot this time. The GF was ravenous and wouldn't let 2 of the steaks rest long enough. They were still really tasty and juicy. That's an egg with the meat on the plate.[p]2006-7flatiron2.jpg

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ,[p]I've had barbecue burnout since a big cook Monday and Tuesday, that steak is bringing me back to my senses.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ,[p]Thanks for posting those photos. My wife and I just returned from Mad Max's favorite DC meat market, Union Meats at Eastern Market, with two flat iron steaks and I'm looking for recommendations. This looks like a great basic recipe!
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Haggis,
    The flatiron is my new favourite cut of beef! It has the tenderness of loin cut beef, but the rich beefiness of the shoulder area (where it's from). If meat cutter gets that sinew seperating the two steaks out totally and properly it is an amazing cut to grill. I've had the added bonus of being able to buy this beef in the CAB version and I've converted half-dozen folks or more to placing orders for this at the meat counter.
    Only tips:
    - cook no more than medium (med-rare awesome!) Remember, as tender as it is, it is still a shoulder cut, so not the fat/marbling as loin area. It'll tighten up too much if you go past medium!
    - By nature it can't be bought in a 'thick' slice, and it does taper to one end, so use any hotspots accordingly to avoid dried out ends of the steak.
    - Season nicely (may I recommend CowLick or Raising the Steaks, perhaps? LOL), but don't overpower 'cause of the relative thinness of the cut (you'd be hard-pressed to find one more than 3/4-1" at deepest point).
    This cut is a definite treat and I almost hate mentioning it. It used to be a 'hidden gem' and I've personally seen the price rise along with popularity (big in grillhouse restaurants), but gotta say, this stuff is top shelf.
    Grill with some care and enjoy that rich beefy goodness!
    Qfan

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    BBQfan1,[p]Thanks for those comments! [p]As an aside, I've found Raising the Steaks a bit too salty for my taste - I love the peppery flavor but not the salt. I might try Red Eye Express or Cowlick unless I find some other recipe. The butcher gave me a recipe although I'm not sure we have the ingredients for it -- if we do, I'll post the results.
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Haggis,
    Good luck and enjoy that nice cut of cow, regardless of the final seasoning. (On a side note, when Chris got the analysis for Raising the Steaks done, he remarked that it had a fairly high salt content, I think in the thirty percentile range. While that is substantially more than any of our other rubs, I had to remark: What about folks that insist on a simple salt n' pepper blend; that there is 50% salt!" LOL)
    Qfan