Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook to Initiate my XLBGE

Local dealer delivered my XLBGE this afternoon. Cooked a couple of spatchcock chickens on it. Turned out great. They were really juicy. Didn't quite get a crispy skin on both but it was still good. Not bad for a first cook.

Dealer needs to come out and adjust the dome fit. Didn't notice until I started cooking that there's a sizable gap on the back and a bit of an under-bite. Was too excited just to get it I guess to check everything over really well.  =) Made for interesting temperature adjustments trying to keep it between 350 and 375 with that big of a gap in the back. I took the chickens off at 6:30 and as of 9:30 with everything shut down completely the egg is still at 225.  :s

Couldn't be more pleased with the way the first cook turned out. Family thought it was delicious. Almost forgot to take pics after taking them off. If I can get dealer back out tomorrow to adjust the dome I'm going to try a low and slow pork loin. 
Going on to cook

One bird in a pan

One partially devoured. 

Nice gap on the back.  :o
XL BGE & Pit Barrel Cooker
OFallon, MO

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Congrats on the new XL!  Tighten those band bolts until they bend, then reevaluate.  Chicks look great!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Luvnlife
    Luvnlife Posts: 219
    Way to go on the first cook. I'm sure they'll come and take care of it or help out either way. I'm new here myself and the welcome has been amazing, I'm sure you'll find the same. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Congrats.  Chicken looks solid.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • bgebrent said:
    Congrats on the new XL!  Tighten those band bolts until they bend, then reevaluate.  Chicks look great!
    @bgebrent do you think that tightening the band bolts down until they bend will correct the gap? I also have a slight under-bite in the front. I've briefly looked at some adjustment threads on here. Seems like the dealer should have delivered it setup correctly. Hopefully they will swing by tomorrow. They are only about a mile from the house. 

OFallon, MO
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Congrats on your new cooker!

First cook looks good.

Perhaps it is just a trick of the photo but did you really cut out the backbones and break the breastbones to flatten out those birds?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    bgebrent said:
    @bgebrent do you think that tightening the band bolts down until they bend will correct the gap? I also have a slight under-bite in the front. I've briefly looked at some adjustment threads on here. Seems like the dealer should have delivered it setup correctly. Hopefully they will swing by tomorrow. They are only about a mile from the house. 

Definitely keep the dealer on the hook.  Those bolts need tightening!  May or may not correct the gap but that's step 1.  If the problem persists, involve the dealer.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • dopey
    dopey Posts: 201
    I would loosen the bolts, let both the top slide down in the band, then re torque while top and bottom are together.
    What I do when I'm black out drunk is none of my business...

John Central CT
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    ^ what @dopey said! Loosen the top band push down the dome until it meets the base, then tighten the bands. This may also correct your under bite. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    Good looking first cook. Your going to have a great time with your new XL!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Congrats on the cook.  And as above-apply the heat to your dealer to make it right.  You paid for a delivered and set-up BGE and they are on the hook for it. There is a torque spec for the band bolts that you will find in this link. 
    http://www.biggreenegg.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/2012_Online_Manual.pdf  It's 120 inch-lbs.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG said:

First cook looks good.

Perhaps it is just a trick of the photo but did you really cut out the backbones and break the breastbones to flatten out those birds?
    Thanks @HeavyG

Yes, cut it out of both with kitchen shears the wife got on QVC. Finally had a use for them so that made her happy. :-) Looking at the pics it doesn't look like they are laying all that flat and they weren't. I didn't smash them down. Will do that next time. Might make the skin turn out a bit better. 
    OFallon, MO
  • Thanks for the tips on adjustment everyone. Dealer is going to send someone out today to fix it. I'll still look at the manual and make sure things are as tight as they need to be. No need in losing a dome on the first few cooks.  :o Thanks for the link @lousubcap
    OFallon, MO
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    HeavyG said:

First cook looks good.

Thanks @HeavyG

Yes, cut it out of both with kitchen shears the wife got on QVC. Finally had a use for them so that made her happy. :-) Looking at the pics it doesn't look like they are laying all that flat and they weren't. I didn't smash them down. Will do that next time. Might make the skin turn out a bit better. 
    I take and cut the cartilage at the front of the breast bone, bend each half back until it cracks then just pull the breastbone out with my fingers along with the long cartilage. Lays flat as a pancake and cooks more evenly. Takes 5 seconds..
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • NonaScott said:
    HeavyG said:

First cook looks good.

Thanks @HeavyG

I take and cut the cartilage at the front of the breast bone, bend each half back until it cracks then just pull the breastbone out with my fingers along with the long cartilage. Lays flat as a pancake and cooks more evenly. Takes 5 seconds..
    @NonaScott Do you cook with the bone side down or skin side? I did bone side until the last 5-10 minutes and flipped them over. Seemed like the skin needed some crisping up. One got a little crisper than desired but was still good.

OFallon, MO