Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer can chicken

Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
Is it possible to churn out a good beer can chicken on the Egg? Or is that a waste of beer and better to be done on a kettle?

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    The whole beer aspect has been debunked because very little of the liquid in the can boils.  Just use an empty can or a chicken stand.  I have a cheap stand with a little pan at the bottom that catches the drippings.  Either way, it's great on the BGE!  Or spatchcock it.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    personally it's a waste of beer whether done on a kettle or a BGE. The beer isn't going to do jack to improve the taste of yard bird!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Beer can chicken is a waste of beer no matter what device it is cooked on.  If you insist on doing it, an egg will do just as good job as a kettle.  Remember that by the time the beer starts to give off any vapors to the chicken, the meat will be over done.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    edited July 2016
    I'll have to try egging a chicken with a beer can stand but sans beer can.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    How do you get the beer to boil in the cavity of a chicken without over cooking the meat?  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Powak said:
    The whole beer aspect has been debunked because very little of the liquid in the can boils.  Just use an empty can or a chicken stand.  I have a cheap stand with a little pan at the bottom that catches the drippings.  Either way, it's great on the BGE!  Or spatchcock it.
    I've done beer chickens on both the Egg and kettle. On the kettle the skin gets nice and crispy and the beer boils pretty good if you drank half the can. In the egg it was super moist but the skin didn't get crispy and the interior of the chicken almost seemed uncooked. I think the kettle's a different experience with the vent controls being much like a 4 barrel carb and the grill running full blast unlike the fine tuned machine the Egg is.
    I have heard other people say the same thing (easier to get crispy skin on the kettle).  I think you are correct it has to do with the efficiency of the egg vs a kettle.  On a kettle at 350+ it is pretty open and a lot of air is moving.  On the at 350ish there is still very little airflow.  There are some tricks to get crispy skin on the egg.  As mentioned earlier- spatchcocking is one method that seems to be easier for crispy skin.  If you go raised direct you can cook skin side down for a short time to get it extra crispy.  If cooking indirect I find raising the bird as high in the dome as possible helps because you get more convection action and radiant heat from the dome.  Another trick is to air dry the bird open in the fridge.  One more is a light dusting of corn starch.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Go w/ Spatchcock

Better, easier, less mess, faster clean-up

Beer Can on the egg is overrated. I've got a gently used BGE ceramic beer can piece if you want it. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     Instead of a beer can or dedicated chicken stand I suggest a Bundt style pan. Root veggies around the base cooking in the drippings from the bird. Yum!!! This on any style cooker...And it is a multi-tasker.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    CtTOPGUN said:
     Instead of a beer can or dedicated chicken stand I suggest a Bundt style pan. Root veggies around the base cooking in the drippings from the bird. Yum!!! This on any style cooker...And it is a multi-tasker.

Jim
    Thanks for that idea! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.