Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick remote owners take note... (long)

Options
KennyG
KennyG Posts: 949
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In preparation for Egging a nice beef roast for Xmas dinner, I decided, having a little time on my hands, to check the calibration of the thermometer collection. I found the BGE originals and the analog units from my other rigs all to require just minor tweaking - no big deal when tested in boiling water. I never paid much attention to the Polders. They were all tested when new and right on the money. Since they are not adjustable, what's the point?[p]Just for grins, I checked the Maverick system and found that both the transmitter and receiver were off by 12* and reading LOW. Swapping the cables made no difference. It also occurred to me that in the couple of times I used the Maverick (beef both times), the Q seemed a bit underdone which I chalked off to cold weather cooking.[p]12* is a big differential when cooking poultry. If you own a Maverick, I'd be interested in your findings on temp accuracy.[p]Incidently, I didn't pull the Xmas roast out of the fridge early enough. I figured that 3.5 hours would be plenty of time for a 12 pounder to approach room temp, but not so PBR breath. I was planning on a 3 hr cook (15 min per lb) and found the internal temp to be only 35* when it was time to start cooking. After 1 hr only 48* and 70* at the 2 hr mark. With time running out and impatient elders expecting to sit down to dinner at 2:00 pm, I had to make a judgement call.[p]I just trusted the Egg and cranked the temp up to 475* (from 350*) since indirect cooking over firebricks usually lets you get away with higher temps. I finished right at the wire including the 20 minute setting time before slicing. It came out juicy and excellent. The elders approved and volunteered me to cook for the next Holiday. The Polder cable wrapped in foil had no problem handling heat almost 100* beyond its rated tolerance.[p]K~G

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    KennyG,[p]Did you have the Remote Check probes or Polder type probes? I recently found that while the Polder types are pretty close at ambient temps - they are way off at cooking temps. [p]Tim
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Tim M,[p]My tests were done with the cables that were included with the Maverick. These cables are identical in appearance to the cable that came with my new design Polder (looks like they tried to liquid proof the connection of the cable into the probe. All three were interchangeable inaccurate when used with the maverick.[p]K~G