Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time ribs

Options
OK, making Ribs this weekend for the first time.

Been reading quite a bit on the topic, can't seem to find answers to whether it needs to be raised or not....

Thoughts?

BGE XL
36" Blackstone

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Use indirect heat
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • lahlooha
    lahlooha Posts: 63
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Use indirect heat
    Right, but doesn't have to be raised right?
    BGE XL
    36" Blackstone
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    As long as you can get a heat deflector between the ribs and the burning lump (aka indirect) you are good to go.  Some even go direct at low temp high in the dome.  Pick one and go.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Raised is not necessary.  If you can get a drip pan under your grate then you are good to go.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• lahlooha
    Options
    Raised is not necessary.  If you can get a drip pan under your grate then you are good to go.
    Definitely adding a drip pan this time around, my ribeye steaks drip caused a ton of smoke/smell when I flipped that thing to make a Pizza (and failed, but that's another story). But yeah, definitely collecting the drip on something other than my plate setter.
    BGE XL
    36" Blackstone
  • flyerdoc
    flyerdoc Posts: 141
    Options
    I did some spare ribs last weekend and actually put the rib rack IN the drip pan. Also added a can of Fosters to the pan for a little moisture and flavor! I know that many do not add moisture but I thought it would be interesting. Also, I did NOT tent the ribs in foil as a few others have done. After 7 hours at 250F with a plate setter legs up/CI grate with drip pan here were the results:
    httpcd8ba0b44a15c10065fd-24461f391e20b7336331d5789078af53r23cf1rackcdncombiggreeneggvanillaforumscomeditor6c5dbtcdak5z3zjpg

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    @lahlooha -  with the drip-pan just make sure it is air-gapped off the platesetter.  You can do this with some washers, pennies, balled up foil etc.  Doesn't need to be more than around 1/4-1/2".  Keeps any accumulated liquid from burning.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    edited July 2016
    Options
    ****3-1-1 method for BGE*****

* 3 hours in the smoker at 250 degrees, unwrapped. Use hickory, cherry or pecan wood. With plate setter legs up and a drip pan with an air gap.
    * 1 hour in the smoker at 250 degrees, wrapped in foil with a little liquid (beer, apple juice, or apple cider vinegar are good)
    * 1 final hour in the smoker unwrapped at 250 basted with barbecue sauce (or if you prefer no sauce that’s fine too)

One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    Options
    lahlooha said:
    Definitely adding a drip pan this time around, my ribeye steaks drip caused a ton of smoke/smell when I flipped that thing to make a Pizza (and failed, but that's another story). But yeah, definitely collecting the drip on something other than my plate setter.

Tin foil is your best friend with a plate setter,  elevated drip pan is a must, wrapping u plate setter in foil n discarding after cooks is a cheap way to keep it clean!!!

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• Hans61
    Options
    lahlooha said:
    Hans61 said:
    Use indirect heat
    Right, but doesn't have to be raised right?
    Right. I've cooked lots of ribs with just the plate setter. They turn out awesome!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options
    @lahlooha cooking them raised wouldn't be "wrong" either. There's more than one way to skin a cat  B)
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    lahlooha said:
    Hans61 said:
    Use indirect heat
    Right, but doesn't have to be raised right

Raised and Indirect
    New Albany, Ohio 

• lahlooha
    Options
    Ok. Got regular beef ribs and short ribs. 
    Short ribs had ton of fat on top, took out a lot of it but was afraid to take it all out.... What's the proper op?

I took off the membrane too.

what say you?
    BGE XL
    36" Blackstone
  • lahlooha
    Options
  • lahlooha
    Options
    5 hours into it. Temp at 185
    BGE XL
    36" Blackstone
  • lahlooha
    Options
    And some wings just because 
    BGE XL
    36" Blackstone
  • lahlooha
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My thermopen crapped out I think and the highest temp for the ribs was 185 then it dropped to 150s and 160s. I don't understand why. Ribs were a little over cooked short ribs were aight I think. Need to figure out what happened with the temp. Is it because of the berbeque sauce that I applied at the end? That's the only thing I can think of. 
    BGE XL
    36" Blackstone