Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Old Erie CI + BGE = Yankee Blackstone

Options
I acquired a CI griddle that fits the LBGE perfectly.  Inspired by your many Blackstone posts I used it to make blackened Mahi-Mahi and turkey burgers with a side of grilled zucchini on top.  Both meals turned out great.

BTW I do not post much but enjoy and appreciate the pictures, stories, and knowledge all of you share.
Valley City, Ohio

Comments

• Sodak70
    Sodak70 Posts: 29
    Options
    Looks Awesome.  Where did you "acquire" the griddle from?  I have been thinking about getting a blackstone but it I could just get a CI platter that would work just as well
    Large and MiniMax Egg, 28" Blackstone Griddle

Franklin (South East), Va
  • VC_Outlaw
    VC_Outlaw Posts: 47
    Options
    My Dad likes to visit flea markets when he is down in Florida for the winter so I told him to look for a griddle less than 18".  He brought me this one which is ~15" round and a rectangular one that also fits the egg.  It was cool to see that it was manufactured in ERIE since we live about 1-1/2 hours away.

I would suggest to look at garage sales and flea markets they are out there.

Valley City, Ohio
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Does it just say "ERIE"? If so, it's likely a turn of the century Griswold. Pretty cool!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Griswold?  Please post more.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Nice old #14!  I have a Griswold slant logo #16, and gifted a slant logo ghost marked #12 that fit my small perfectly.  My #16 has taken over the BGE pizza stone duties, much better results.  

Will soon hack off a Wagner 1991 Anniversary griddle, with handle, to replace the #12 I gave away. Not a collector per say, and was ten bucks.  These bailed griddles, like yours, are pricey and don't come around often.  It is really nice, not having to fight the squared sides of a skillet.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• VC_Outlaw
    Options
    It has ERIE stamped in large letters on the back.  It does not say Griswold anywhere because I looked for that when I first got it.  I also believe there are a couple of numbers I will post some pictures of it tonight when I get home. 
    The griddle surface is smooth as glass.
    I would be interested in any information you guys can share about it.
    Valley City, Ohio
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Erie is Griswold, they used that marking before the Griswold. Way back in the first days of cast iron fry pans they were called Spiders and some of the first pans had an actual spider cast into the bottom. You have a very good find. At one time I had 500 pieces of Griswold.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Late 1800s, early 1900s for the ERIEs.
    Some reading, and cool, old pics of the factory and its workers.
    http://www.historyandmemorabilia.org/2015/01/the-griswold-manufacturing-company.html?m=1

And a video on the manufacturing process for each piece.  This isn't cast iron, but you will get the idea and respect for the labor involved with loose pattern molding and vintage CI in that factory during that time.
    https://youtu.be/Yk1JOYzwRP4
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• VC_Outlaw
    Options
    Thanks for the article.
    Here are some pics for the CI experts.
    Valley City, Ohio