Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

14 Hour 5.5lb Boston Butt

Options

Set out to try my first boston butt Saturday.  Started off on a bad note, as I had set my alarm to go off at 5 (wife thinks I am crazy for getting up early on a Saturday to grill) but I accidentally set it for PM, so at 6:35 or so I wake up in a mad dash to go get the egg started.

Everything was going great, and I even left with the wife to go help her set her classroom up for an hour.  When I got back, the dome temp was down to 220 or so, when I was trying to keep it at 245-50.  Got it back up to where I wanted it and it got to stall temp pretty quick (seemed to be 156 degrees for this butt) so since I was already running behind, I decided to foil to try and catch back up on some time.  Got up to 170, and thought great, I will take the foil off.  Wrong, the thing started going lower again. 

Finally I panicked and just wrapped the thing in foil again and cranked the dome temp to around 260-75 for a bit.  It got to 185 and just sat there, and sat there.

Finally at 9 (we had long already done something different for dinner) I walked out to check the meat and the bone pulled right out.  I FTC’d it for an hour and pulled it to have for lunch/dinner last night, and froze the rest.

It was great, but what did I do wrong?  I have yet to check the accuracy of the probe, and I don’t yet have a quick read digital thermometer to compare it with.  I plan on checking the probe accuracy in boiling water.

The grill probe (Ivation Maverick 732 clone) was closer to the dome temp (recently calibrated) than I figured it would be.

Could I possibly have been touching the bone?  Where does everyone put the probe in a bone in butt? 

LBGE
Thomasville, GA

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    For a low&slow cook you don't need the quick read thermo.  All you need is a means to know when to start checking for the ease of bone removal.  Any calibrated el cheapo oven proof thermo will do the job.  I would check your dome thermo again in boiling water.  With your temperatures it should not have taken 14 hours but sometimes the piggy gets stubborn, especially as the butt size gets smaller.  FWIW-
    Regarding thermo placement, I just look for a thick section and not in a fat pocket or touching the bone.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    I generally do all of my butt cooks the night before. I put them on whenever...and aim to keep the dome temp at 250 or lower. Roughly 1.5 hrs per pound. When i wake up i check the temp. If it's done i pull and FTC...if not i let it ride. These things will stay hot for so long in the cooler that you are good to go for either lunch or an early dinner if you do it that way. Just my thoughts...
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    lousubcap , 14 hrs seems too long for a 5.5 Lb butt.

• lousubcap
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @GregW -My comment from the above post:
    "With your temperatures it should not have taken 14 hours but sometimes the piggy gets stubborn, especially as the butt size gets smaller."  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GregW
    edited July 2016
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @GregW -My comment from the above post:
    "With your temperatures it should not have taken 14 hours but sometimes the piggy gets stubborn, especially as the butt size gets smaller."  FWIW-

Sorry, that was not what I meant to post in reply to your post.
    I had typed " I agree with @lousubcap"
    Somehow the agree part didn't get posted in the message.
    I don't have any idea what happened. 
    Is there any way to delete my post?
    I 100% agree with your thoughts.
    Again, I'm sorry that this occurred. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    No worries and since you are past the one-hour edit window, no edit.  I just wanted to let you know that we were on the same page with the cook temp vs time.
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    I have always had a fail when I tried to rush a cook with foil. Glad you got some good pork anyway. If the thermometer pushes in easy, it's done. If the temp is about 200 that's even better.
    Cooking on the coast
  • Nole_Fan
    Nole_Fan Posts: 54
    Options
    I have still yet to check my probe in boiling water, will do that soon.  Not sure what I was doing wrong. 

I had a drip pan with water/apple cider.  Could that have hindered me?

Oh well, practice makes perfect.  I do need to find a new source though, my local Publix is pretty high per lb on pork butt!
    LBGE
    Thomasville, GA
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @Nole_Fan: I have to admit that I LOLd at your alarm fail. Made me think about the Seinfeld with the runner missing the alarm and getting to the race late. "It was the volume!"
  • GregW
    Options
    Nole_Fan said:
    I have still yet to check my probe in boiling water, will do that soon.  Not sure what I was doing wrong. 

I had a drip pan with water/apple cider.  Could that have hindered me?

Oh well, practice makes perfect.  I do need to find a new source though, my local Publix is pretty high per lb on pork butt!
    No doubt about Publix being high. They are at least $1.00/Lb higher than other stores in my area, and some of the other places sell higher quality meat for less.
    For years I couldn't wait to get a Publix in my town. Now that I have one I'm still driving a distance to Piggly Wiggly for better quality meat at a lower price.

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    ... aim to keep the dome temp at 250 or lower.
    I swear I get more smoke and a better cook overall if I smoke at 250 or HIGHER.  I find 250-275 a "sweet spot," and if I go 225 or 200, the cook goes well in other ways, but it just isn't as smoky, and for some meats I really like a lot of smoke flavor.  I have suspected that the 200-225 temperature range guideline comes from people cooking on stick burners, and got adopted by people on BGEs without really testing it.

But I'm no expert, and am willing to learn.  What is it that you like better about 250 or below?

Thanks!
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I probe in multiple spots the thickest point being the most important. 

Next time, crank it to 350 to finish it off so you don't have to keep staring at it.

Silly question but did you put it on frozen, semi-frozen? 

No way a 5.5er should take that long.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Way too long for that size butt.  Weird. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    @Theophan my off day schedule is different than most. Sunday and a rotating day. I should have said that i like doing those at night when i'm not working the next day. So putting it on late in the day and locking it at a low temp...i can leave the alarm clock off! My point to the OP was just to give him another option in regards to scheduling and sleeping in a little later on his off day.

As to your question, i think more than anything for me it's just preference. I tend to get my heavier smoke early in the cook. I do start closer to 300 than 250 during the first few hours and slowly but surely i get the vents closed down. Once i get it dialed in at say 225-245 i let it ride. And also, i usually buy butts in the 7-9 lb range so checking on them 10 or 12 hrs later is no big deal. Once done...i do like a long FTC if time allows. And for me...the finished product with this method has received the most compliments from friends and family.

However...lol...i personally haven't been as happy with my level of smoke with recent cooks. I'm constantly tweeking my methods so i'll probably bump the temp up with one of my next cooks...

@Nole_Fan at least you guys were able to eat your first butt! My first brick...i mean butt...ended up in the trash. I remember being so disappointed. I became a serious lurker on this forum after that and watched all the youtube videos i could find. I "practiced" alot those first few months to the point where my wife demanded that i stop cooking them for awhile...
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • Nole_Fan
    Nole_Fan Posts: 54
    Options
    Yes, my first was definitely an odd duck, but like you said at least it was good to eat.  I plan on giving many more a try, as practice makes perfect. 

We are having our 2nd child in October, and I may start trying to find some pulled pork on sale, cooking them, and freezing.  Would be a tasty, quick warm up meal so we don't have to cook.

The wife is loving the egg so far, one for the taste of the food that is coming off of it, and two, all I want to do is cook and try new things out.

Going to do chicken wings this weekend.
    LBGE
    Thomasville, GA