Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat Thermometer

I am very new to BBQ and the EGG World. Can someone recommend a very good meat thermometer that measures internal temps and is very reliable?  Thanks

Bill
Ft worth, TX

"He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes, but he who never asks a question is a fool forever."

-Dr. D. Tartar

Comments

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Thermapen might be one of the most common on the forum...around $80
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • gator753
    gator753 Posts: 81

thermapen

Marshall, TX

LBGE 2016
  • miniscus
    miniscus Posts: 27
    Thanks you for your comments/input!
    Bill
    Ft worth, TX

"He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes, but he who never asks a question is a fool forever."

-Dr. D. Tartar
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    If you don't want to spend that much, you can get a thermopop from the same company http://www.thermoworks.com/?gclid=CJHPt9rnjM4CFUYdgQod6m8H-g

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    The thermoworks products mentioned above are instant read thermos that require you to access the meat (open the BGE) at the time of the reading.  If you are looking for something that you can insert and leave for the duration of a low&slow cook then you  are looking for something like a Maverick ET-732 or related.  And you can get quite tricked out with the remote and bluetooth options should you desire.
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Plus one to the thermopop.

Definite recommendation for whichever you choose, go to their website and sign up for emails, they run sales on both very frequently.  When I got my thermopops they were offering them at like $20 each if you bought 5 or more.  I've got two for the house, one in our camping kitchen, and gave one each to my parents and my in-laws for Christmas.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Thermapen is the gold standard.  Accurate, well built units that will last you a long time.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• miniscus
    Thanks to ALL for you great comments!
    Bill
    Ft worth, TX

-Dr. D. Tartar
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    I bought this guy a few weeks ago and love it. It takes like 3 seconds, but it works for me. 

Las Vegas, NV

• RockyTopDW
    RockyTopDW Posts: 338
    Minis us, I have the same thing & it works great for me. 
  • miniscus
    Thanks for the great comments!!!
    Bill
    Ft worth, TX

-Dr. D. Tartar
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Sign up for the Thermopen email list - just got a thermopop through their open box sale for about $15
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    +1 to the above.  Regular sales on their e-mail list (& you can win a free thermapen mk4...but I haven't been so lucky).  I've got the MK4 - but you can get by just fine with the standard thermapen or pop if you wish
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Thermapen!!!!!   Do it once the right way. You won't be sorry!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    And the themapen threads stay surfaced-nothing against the product as I own one but other product specific threads get that sinking feeling in relatively short-order.  (Check out the Android vs I phone deal from earlier today.)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.