Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Long Cook Starting Tomorrow Night

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I plan to put two Boston butts on tomorrow evening for an overnight cook. I'll clean out the old charcoal (will save it for short cooks) and put in a fresh load of lump -- up to the top of the fire ring. I'm thinking I should light a small number of coals in the center of fire ring, control the temp as it comes up, and then stabilize it at my target temp (about 250*) before I put the butts on. With all new charcoal, and keeping the fire under control at a low temp, I'm not sure if/how I will get a clean burning fire before I put the meat on, but I'm hoping it will burn clean without firing up the whole thing. Any comments will be appreciated.

Comments

• Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Chuck/Tx, what lump are you using. If it is B&B or Picnic, you got way more lump than you need, about 1/2 way in the fire ring is plenty. If you are worried about getting a clean burn, then just start the fire early, say 2 hours before throwing on the butts. A small fire in the middle of the lump is all you need. Are you adding wood smoke? If so, bury a couple chunks around in the lump and drop a couple small pieces on the hot spot when you load your butts. Remember, this is an indirect cook. Good luck tom

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Chuck/Tx,
    You have a good solid plan. You maybe over loaded but I would not adjust it as sooner or later you will use it. You can only under load an egg not over load.
    Not sure what you mean by a clean burn. As long as your fire starter has burned out you should be fine. Not using a fire starter tab or chunck then you should not have any issues.
    Personally I think you are good to go. [p]Elder Ward

• Sandbagger, yes, I have an unopened bag of B&B I plan to use. I appreciate the advice and will do everything just as you suggest.

• Elder Ward, you know when you first fire up new charcoal it smokes, i.e. a heavy smoke comes out the top vent. Then, after it burns for a half hour of so, it stops smoking and burns clean. Since I will be cooking low and slow, I plan to light only a few coals on top, in the center of the fire ring, so was wondering if the smoke will clear up in due time. The more I think about it, based on past low and slow experience with Kingsford in a WSM, I remember it cleared up soon enough, so I feel sure the lump will also. I don't want that dark charcoal smoke on my meat.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Chuck/Tx,[p]A couple of thoughts: [p]Using new lump is good. Some, including me, have encountered issues where a single hot spot burns down because there are too many large pieces and they don't spread well over time - you might want to make sure you have smaller lump interspersed with the bigger stuff.[p]Not sure how you are starting the fire but if you are using wax-based starters (e.g., BGE starters) they will produce a lot of white smoke for a while - it even smells of paraffin. You are right to wait until that burns off. [p]I bow to those who have used B&B regarding how it burns but I've generally filled up to the fire ring with Royal Oak or BGE and had no problem lasting 20 hours - I rarely use more than half of the total and have plenty left over for additional cooks. [p]It sounds to me you are right on target!
  • Haggis, I appreciate your reply. I use a weed burner for starting my fire. If you've never seen one of these things they will shoot a flame that you can't believe, but I keep it turned down pretty low. Even so, it starts a fire fast and easy. Good idea about proper distribution of large and small lump. Thanks.

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Chuck/Tx,
    You should not get dark color from lump if it has had 10 to 15 minutes of burn time. after a fire starter is used, if using electric you could start right away. I have never had black stuff on my food since I quite using charcoal.
    Elder

• egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Chuck/Tx,[p]I am a fan of lighting three or so fires so that if one tunnels straight down and goes out, you aren't back here in the morning asking the forum if your meat is safe. The forum typically convinces you to throw it out and be safe. Since I have learned my lesson the hard (4 butt toss) way, I always light a few fires.[p]Ed
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    Chuck/Tx,
    if this is your first low and slow with an egg, make sure to make up a wiggle rod to shake the lower grate thru the lower vent. i usually get up once in the night to do this. its not always necessary, but it doesnt hurt. i also open the egg to push some lump towards the center with the wiggle rod to prevent the center burn (ive only had this happen with wicked good charcoal and have never seen it happen with other brands, but again it doesnt hurt to do it). elder wards method of loading lump may work better than my dump and stir method, but i know that wiggle rod has saved a few cooks

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it