Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking time on 3 butts

Good morning,
I'm serving lunch tomorrow for a customer that is 2.5 hrs travel time at noon tomorrow. Cooking 3 - 6lb butts on BGE large. I will be transporting in a cooler of course, so butts off around 8:30 am. What time do you recommend putting them on this evening?
thanks for any advice
Shane

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Depends on how fast you want to cook.  You could put them on at 9 or 10 and run around 225 to 250 and if they aren't quit done when you get up say 5:30-6, wrap them up and crank up the heat to get them done.  2nd option; cook at 275 to 300 and put them on around 11 to 12 and should be done around 6 am.  3rd option: put them on when you get home, cook them at 350 turbo method to get them done before bed, wrap in foil, put in fridge and put them in the oven in the morning so they are 140 at least so you can FTC them for your drive.  Lots a ways to go.  Good luck.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Bojangles
    Bojangles Posts: 118
    to answer the OP's question, start earlier than you think you need to.  It is the safe play.  The length of time on the stall can be a bit unpredictable.  Extra time for the butts to rest in FTC is a much lesser evil than having hungry guests waiting and waiting while you crank your temp, try to do a turbo finish, and then don't have time for a proper rest.... meanwhile it's already the 4th quarter, you haven't served the guests, and your wife is staring at you with that HOW-MUCH-F@%&ING-LONGER face.  Ask me how I know, lol.
    Large BGE  |  Blackstone  |  Custom Dísco  |  PolyScience Discovery
    --------------------------------------------
    my Big Green Egg has saved many-a-Sunday that my Miami Dolphins attempted to ruin.
    --------------------------------------------
  • Thanks for the great advice, much appreciated.
  • I like that I'm starting early!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited July 2016
    I am quick cooking a 9 lb right now aiming for 8 hours starting at 300 degrees will up to 350 after some smoke. I will wrap and adjust as needed to hit target.
    Seattle, WA
  • SkinnyV
    edited July 2016
    So 9lb butt cooked high is @ 160 4 hours in.

i need it in 4.5 hours should I foil? Or let it ride... Temp is 325 currently. 

Adding sausage last hour and bringing for summer little league baseball game.

edit: I foiled it better safe than sorry.
    Seattle, WA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Yesterday 5lb Turbo'ed took just under 5 hours. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SkinnyV
    6 hours and I'm at 190, this was 9lbs bone in 350 first 2+ hours then 325 or so with last 2 hours foiled. 
    Ita done and looks moist, in the cooler now. 
    That was quick!
    Seattle, WA
  • SkinnyV
    Wow great results I'm heading to the field but wanted to pull then put back in the cooler. No effort ,6 hours and this 9lbs was done. Cooler for anothe 2 hours.
    there is no reason not to turbo.
    12 sausages to accommodate, I will be back with plenty of atta boys I'm sure . 

Seattle, WA