Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table nest or ceramic feet

PSC
PSC Posts: 148
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of building an outdoor kitchen and I am undecided about puting the XL over some ceramic feet or the table nest.

The kitchen will be made of concrete, no wood nearby.

I guess my fear is about the ceramic feet being safe for the integrity of the BGE while cooking at 650º+ temps

What would you recommend?
Thanks!

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I'd probably go with table nest for a cleaner look. Probably cheaper too. Those BGE feet aren't cheap anymore
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • PSC
    Thanks

Hopefully someone has an XL in a nest and can share a pic...
     :)
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    WeberWho said:
    I'd probably go with table nest for a cleaner look. Probably cheaper too. Those BGE feet aren't cheap anymore
    You can get some from firecraft really cheap.  I think I paid like $20 for all 4.... They are black though, not BGE green.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• WeberWho
    edited July 2016
    WeberWho said:
    You can get some from firecraft really cheap.  I think I paid like $20 for all 4.... They are black though, not BGE green.
    Big Green Egg feet push $40 on Ebay. It's crazy. You can pick these up a Lowes and paint them green on the cheap

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • A5firearms
    A5firearms Posts: 163
    Table nest. Gives a good solid foundation with good air flow.
    Lake Keowee, SC
    XLarge, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Custom Table, KAB, Woo2, Guru DigiQ DX2,
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • Table nest for sure
  • Meeeshigan22
    Meeeshigan22 Posts: 306
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    Big Green Egg feet push $40 on Ebay. It's crazy. You can pick these up a Lowes and paint them green on the cheap

Mine broke, went with the nest.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:

Mine broke, went with the nest.
    BGE Feet or the Terra Cotta stand? Heat related?

Minnesota
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    If I have had the feet for several years, and they work, is there any reason to get the nest? 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • WeberWho
    edited July 2016
    Jameson19 said:
    If I have had the feet for several years, and they work, is there any reason to get the nest? 
    No. Big Green Egg use to provide feet with the egg. The nest is a new way to charge and make money off consumers. It really should be provided with the Egg purchase and not an additional purchase 

Minnesota
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    You can just set it on the concrete. If there is no wood there is no need for an air gap. I have a small that has been sitting straight on a concrete table for a few years now.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• PSC
    Thank you all, guys!

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I like the nest. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Is there a back wall behind the Egg?  If not, I might be a little worried about wind or gravity taking the egg backwards when to dome is open.  I've seen where someone used the acorn nuts/cinch bolts to attach an aluminum strap to the frame of the enclosure for additional security.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Kwalsh13
    Kwalsh13 Posts: 2
    Thanks for bringing that up, Dave. I read through these posts last night so that I could some answers for my friend who is building a table/outdoor kitchen for my husband's Large BGE. It will have a back wall, and he plans to have the table (SS top) conform closely around the egg; a lot closer than some of the open platforms I have seen. We were also thinking of constructing some sort of drainage port for rainwater that would collect in this area. I think the table nest is a good idea and will probably purchase that for the base. Any suggestions on drainage?
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Here a couple of pics of my table and the BGE Table Nest.  I have and XL and Med.  Because I have a wooden table both of my eggs are on Nests and the nests sit on a piece of concrete backer board that is under a 20 inch ceramic tile.  I planned it that way based on many of the great comments about safety with wood tables on this forum.

Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    With the size of the XL , I think you need the Nest to support the bottom of the egg. The feet wood point load a lot of weight in a small area.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • PSC
    edited July 2016
  • PSC

Is there a back wall behind the Egg?  If not, I might be a little worried about wind or gravity taking the egg backwards when to dome is open.  I've seen where someone used the acorn nuts/cinch bolts to attach an aluminum strap to the frame of the enclosure for additional security.

Dave, it is an OPEN structure with a wall behind.

similar to this

• Kwalsh13
    Kwalsh13 Posts: 2
    So, PSC, do you have any issues with standing rainwater inside the platform?
  • PSC
    Kwalsh13 said:
    So, PSC, do you have any issues with standing rainwater inside the platform?

Still a project. The kitchen is roofed but at the very end. So a windy rain would wet the countertop and all. I'll just leave a pertinent inclination for water to drain.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    when the xl came out bge recommended not to use the feet with it, they put too much stress across the bottom of the xl. no feet came with an xl
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • PSC
    So, I decided to buy the table nest based on your recommendations and Sonny3 pics.

I looked for them on ebay and other internet sources but found the prices over 60 bucks.

I bought them finally from www.premiergrilling.com

$36.95 shipping included.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    edited July 2016
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545

These I found at Walmart for $2.00 each.. In the garden section.. Pot/plant stands..

Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    PSC said:
    So, I decided to buy the table nest based on your recommendations and Sonny3 pics.

I looked for them on ebay and other internet sources but found the prices over 60 bucks.

@PSC - I searched the premier site for "table nest" and found nothing.  Could you post a link or tell if they use a different name? Thanks. 
    New Orleans LA
  • PSC
    Dondgc said:
    PSC said:

@PSC - I searched the premier site for "table nest" and found nothing.  Could you post a link or tell if they use a different name? Thanks. 

the search funcion in-site does not work, this is the link to the nest:

https://www.premiergrilling.com/big-green-egg-table-nest-for-xl-egg-nestabxl

or do a google site-search:

site:premiergrilling.com table nest xl