Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide

Options
I just did a bone-in New York Strip, almost 2 pounds,  that had been dry aged for 45 days.  I first smoked it indirect until it reached an interior temp of 100.  Then I let it cool a bit while the Sous Vide was coming to 120 degrees.  At that point I put it in for about an hour.  Then reverse seared it at 550 degrees for a couple of minutes a side.  Sorry, no pictures, but it was great.

What did I do right, or what could I have done better?  I know that it was really good, but I also know that some of you have done the same cut of beef and I would like your input.  My butcher almost always has something dry aging if I'm interested when he deems it is ready to enjoy.

Thanks for your input.

By the way it was done on a LGBE with Rockwood Charcoal and Pean.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Glad you liked your method, but since you asked for opinions IMHO you did it backwards. I would have brought it up to temp via sous vide first to say 120º for at least 2 hours or probably 3 hours and then seared it. Sous vide will assure you the internal temp is far more perfect than the way you approached it. No offense - OK? but you asked!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    agree with @RRP.  Sous vide first then sear.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    RRP said:
    Glad you liked your method, but since you asked for opinions IMHO you did it backwards. I would have brought it up to temp via sous vide first to say 120º for at least 2 hours or probably 3 hours and then seared it. Sous vide will assure you the internal temp is far more perfect than the way you approached it. No offense - OK? but you asked!
    Further to what Ron. Says, Chef Steps turned me onto a sear before the sous vide, just enough to colour the meat, then 2 to 3 hours for something over 2" thick, dry the surface and finish sear in a hot CI pan - I know this gives the egg the day off which may not be what you want, but the results are very good. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    RRP said:
    Further to what Ron. Says, Chef Steps turned me onto a sear before the sous vide, just enough to colour the meat, then 2 to 3 hours for something over 2" thick, dry the surface and finish sear in a hot CI pan - I know this gives the egg the day off which may not be what you want, but the results are very good. 
    Agree brother.  Sous vide then sear is super simple.  And gives an excuse to light the egg.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    RRP said:
    Sounds like he did almost exactly what you said except he added a little smoke in the beginning. Am I missing something?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    RRP said:
    Isn't that what the OP indicated he done?  

Ron's technique isn't what the OP did, but what you indicated.  

He seared

Then SV

Then seared

It's just another technique.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
    RRP said:

He seared

Then SV

Then seared

He brought the IT all the way up to 100, this is different from a quick pre-bath sear. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    J-dubya said:
    RRP said:

He seared

Then SV

Then seared

He brought the IT all the way up to 100, this is different from a quick pre-bath sear. 
    You're right.  My bad.  But Ron didn't lead to that.  He lead to traditional.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It sounds like you did a combination of reverse sear + sous vide.  The initial smoke I am sure added some flavor.  Nothing wrong with this, but just my $.02 I would skip the sous vide in this scenario.  If you just slow roast/smoke on the egg up to 120, let it rest, then sear I think it would be just as good and eliminate a step.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    been doing alot of tritips lately, have not tried the initial smoke. having better luck going closer to the 4 hour mark in the souse vide at120, more tender. i sear at a higher temp.  i like the idea of the initial smoke and will try that, also want to try sousvide at a little lower temp, even 120 seems a little high for whatever reason, seems different than 120 slow roasted
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it