Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Seared Tri Tip

500 Posts: 3,177
edited July 2016 in EggHead Forum
Did one of these last week for friends coming over, but didn't post it. Liked it so much we did it again just for the family this time. Wegmans 2 pound Tri Tip; salted and set on the counter for an hour as the Egg got to temp. Indirect, no smoke, at 275 dome until about 115 IT. Rested with foil Egg-side while I got set up for direct at about 600 dome. Seasoned with more kosher salt, cracked black, DP Cowlick, and EVOO to both sides. Seared open dome on both sides about 2-3 minutes. Pulled it off and sliced, since the rest had already happened. Nice medium rare, bordering to medium so next time pay more attention and take it off around 110. Sliced thin against the grain. Tasty. (Warning: Fork included in pic, for those sensitive to fork-included pics)

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    I wish I could find tritip more regularly, it's so good - great cook!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited July 2016
    Blind, I'd never had it before last week. Now it's a go-to for us. I dig through the cryovac pile of them for ones at least 2 pounds. Saw one yesterday that was 2 1/2 pounds. Wegmans carries them all the time it seems. They are new to the area so happy to see them for Tri tip and Butts that we get from there. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    I am going to have to try one soon!
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    500 Seared open dome on both sides about 2-3 minutes. Pulled it off and sliced, since the rest had already happened. Nice medium rare, bordering to medium so next time pay more attention and take it off around 110. Sliced thin against the grain. Tasty. 

I love the TriTip.....I forward sear To avoid the potientialI to over cook (not saying yours is). I feel I am more in control of temp when in a roasting mode. I pull at 115 and rest. Nice job....I have one in my fridge ready to go.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SLOandSteady
    SLOandSteady Posts: 210
    My kind of cook. Went to college in the central coast of California, so have a great affinity for tri-tip. Many a college get togethers where tri-tip was the grub. Nice job.