Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF delivery

Options
Bit the bullet and am trying my first SRF brisket.

I have to say I am a bit disappointed in the thickness of the flat it's about 1/2" including the fat for a decent portion of it and it looks like there is zero fat cap at all on about 3/4 of the point.  $145.00 I kind of expected a bit more. But this is just a first impression 

Hopefully it it tastes good...

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I, for one would email them and tell them. Oh I'd probably start the email off real nice with some sort of compliment and then kinda sorta work in what you wrote here.
    Word of mouth is everything, knowing what you got, there's a really good chance I wouldn't buy a brisky from them now.
    They need to know if they've fallen short. I, being a business owner sure want to know. Tim 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Mine seemed pretty thin when I first got it, but once I defrosted it and unwrapped it, it was better, and it seemed to thicken up as it tightened up on the grill too.

I wouldn't give up just yet.
    NOLA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Shane is tagged, but I would also see what @Thatgrimguy could offer. He orders and cooks these all the time. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited July 2016
    Options
    What size category is it. I find any brisket under the 16-18lb range is guaranteed to have a thin flat (it's thin everywhere) and Even some in the 16-18lb region seem a bit thin especially compared to the flats I get on the CAB Prime I normally cook. 

I think you will find the flavor and texture of the meat to more than make up for the perceived thinness of the flat. (I trim mine a bit and make some pretty amazing burgers out of my trimmings)
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have ordered multiple briskest from them in the 16-18 pound range and they have all been fantastic.  Flats were great and plenty of fat on the points. 

As for the taste you will be blown away.  
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    ya I understand skinny flats. I typically buy 14lbs or so. This on the other hand is like a spiral notebook. Very underwhelming by the looks. And no fat cap on the point. 

Hoping it it exceeds my expectations with the taste! 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    over-rated
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    One of my fears...whenever I hit the store I am always filing through trying to find one I like so not really surprising.
    Seattle, WA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    ya I understand skinny flats. I typically buy 14lbs or so. This on the other hand is like a spiral notebook. Very underwhelming by the looks. And no fat cap on the point. 

Hoping it it exceeds my expectations with the taste! 
    They have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. You can send it back for another.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    If you have an issue, give them a call (great customer service) and be ready to send a few pics.  They will make it right.  However, as above, before getting too deep into the issues, you may want to cook and consume.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @THEBuckeye -  over-rated in what regard...the fact that you can cut the finished product with a fork or is it more than that ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I just wish I could fit more SRF briskets, hell, all SRF beef into my budget. 
  • SRFShane
    SRFShane Posts: 155
    Options
    @bhedges1987 - A little late jumping in on this one (I've been out the last week) but I saw in your cook thread that everything turned out really well.  I'm glad to hear it.  Flat thickness can definitely be misleading.  

@THEBuckeye - sorry to hear you're not a fan of SRF...but that's OK, everybody gets to have their opinion!  If you ever are interested in learning more about us, how we raise/treat our cattle or what makes our beef different, I'm more than happy to have a chat.  

Also - everyone is right, if you have any issue with our products, give us a call. The thing is we're dealing with a natural product here, an animal, it's not "manufactured" to a set of specifications.  In this case, @lousubcap is right  - we probably would have said "cook it, then let us know what you think".  

And @SoCalTim, I agree...word of mouth is everything!