Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Cooking Schools

Watched a lot of TV past couple of weeks and have learned some of the guys like Myron Mixon and Mike Davis along with others have classes on cooking.  Some of the info available looks like it starts with basics through competition cooks.  Anyone attend any of these and how much did you learn???  Do you think you got your money's worth??

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    I have attended a comp. class in the past. Was it worth it? I think so. Depends on your knowledge already though. I would not attend a Myron mix on class though due to the region he is in. Different BBQ in the south east then here in the mid west. Choose a class that will teach you what the judges look for in the area you want to compet in. If your not wanting to do comp cooking then I would say pass on the class as most are 1000.00 or more.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    I took the pellet envy bbq class. It was $600 I think. He has won more comps than anyone over the past 10 years I believe. 

I learned some, not much. I actually don't think I apply any of it when I cook

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SmokininCT
    SmokininCT Posts: 51
    I've taken a few different classes and picked up something new from each one of them. For cooking comp quality BBQ on an Egg, I would highly recommend Dizzy Pig's class, they compete using all Big Green Eggs. Chris does an excellent job showing all of the tricks that he uses to prep and cook meats for competition as well as fire management on an egg. 
  • Rad5
    Rad5 Posts: 35
    I attended Myron's class at his home in GA a few years ago and It was a great class. His family was very friendly and accommodating. Myron's "tell it like it is" attitude was quite refreshing and he always took the time answer anyone's questions or made sure you saw what he was doing. His recipes and techniques were mostly for competition, but could be very successful for the home cook or catering business. The best thing I learned was you can smoke a brisket or a pork butt in 4 hrs, and have it turn out just as great as a 10+ hr smoke. You will probably get more out of his class if you already having a basic knowledge of smoking and BBQ. Just being able to rub elbows and BS with Myron along with fellow BBQ'ers was really the most fun. Heck, even Tuffy Stone showed up and was answering questions and giving advice to anyone that asked. If your passion is BBQ, I highly recommend it. 
    Orlando, FL 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    I took the pellet envy bbq class. It was $600 I think. He has won more comps than anyone over the past 10 years I believe. 

I learned some, not much. I actually don't think I apply any of it when I cook
    That's too bad, hope it was at least fun!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Rad5 said:
    I attended Myron's class at his home in GA a few years ago and It was a great class. His family was very friendly and accommodating. Myron's "tell it like it is" attitude was quite refreshing and he always took the time answer anyone's questions or made sure you saw what he was doing. His recipes and techniques were mostly for competition, but could be very successful for the home cook or catering business. The best thing I learned was you can smoke a brisket or a pork butt in 4 hrs, and have it turn out just as great as a 10+ hr smoke. You will probably get more out of his class if you already having a basic knowledge of smoking and BBQ. Just being able to rub elbows and BS with Myron along with fellow BBQ'ers was really the most fun. Heck, even Tuffy Stone showed up and was answering questions and giving advice to anyone that asked. If your passion is BBQ, I highly recommend it. 
    I think that would be the most fun for me, love the Bbq pit master shows would be really cool to meet them :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    I took Harry Soo' Slap Yo Daddy bbq @ his home in Diamond Bar CA. the cost is $375 for his class. It is a very intimate hands on class .. in all 14 meats are prepared by the class. The classes are sold out months in advance. Classes are approx twice a month on Saturdays starting time is 7:30 am to about 3 pm. I know the are other classes, but in my opinion THIS is the best of the best. Designed for beginners all the way up to the most advanced competition bbqer.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    I took the first class Tuffy Stone ever offered. It was a great class but I'm not sure I would invest the money if I were not going to cook in competitions. You also need to have a pretty good knowledge of cooking barbecue or you will get lost in some of the details.
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Check out Chris Prieto's class in Raleigh, I believe its called Ultimate School of BBQ.  Not too far from you and a very nice class for a decent price.  He doesn't cook on eggs but the same times/temps/techniques apply.  It is geared more toward the backyard cook but uses a lot of competition techniques.  If you're looking for a general BBQ class, it is well worth the money and you'll definitely pick up some knowledge from an accomplished, award-winning pit master.      

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited July 2016
    Come to one of the forum get togethers like Brisket Camp, NC Butt Blast or Grimm's Soirée. You'll learn plenty and have a better time than you will at any paid training classes.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    SoCalTim said:
    I took Harry Soo' Slap Yo Daddy bbq @ his home in Diamond Bar CA. the cost is $375 for his class. It is a very intimate hands on class .. in all 14 meats are prepared by the class. The classes are sold out months in advance. Classes are approx twice a month on Saturdays starting time is 7:30 am to about 3 pm. I know the are other classes, but in my opinion THIS is the best of the best. Designed for beginners all the way up to the most advanced competition bbqer.
    That sounds awesome, great price too.  Would be cool to incorporate this into a west coast trip.

Harry seems like a good, salt of the earth type guy.  Well worth $375 IMO.

If we(Good Vybz) do decide to jump into the comp arena, it would be the KBQ, 22 WSM, and kettle for chicken.  But we need a brisketeer, cuz I refuse to cook them, and a box maker. Lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Focker said:
    SoCalTim said:
    That sounds awesome, great price too.  Would be cool to incorporate this into a west coast trip.

If we(Good Vybz) do decide to jump into the comp arena, it would be the KBQ, 22 WSM, and kettle for chicken.  But we need a brisketeer, cuz I refuse to cook them, and a box maker. Lol
    Hey Brandon, if you ever make it out to the West Coast, i'd be more than happy to go to the class with you. I've been twice and would absolutely love to go again. Heck, you could even crash at my home need be. Maybe I'll post my review of the 'Slap Yo daddy' bbq (with lotsa pictures) the next few days or so. Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    SoCalTim said:
    Cool!

I'm a big fan of Harry Soo. If I lived on the Left Coast I would definitely take one of his classes.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    SoCalTim said:
    Focker said:
    SoCalTim said:

Hey Brandon, if you ever make it out to the West Coast, i'd be more than happy to go to the class with you. I've been twice and would absolutely love to go again. Heck, you could even crash at my home need be. Maybe I'll post my review of the 'Slap Yo daddy' bbq (with lotsa pictures) the next few days or so. Tim
    Would love to see a post/pics.
    And I really appreciate the kind gesture.
    My play money is tied up until 2017, but will keep this offer in mind.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Rad5 said:
    While I don't think I would do a class, posts like this are all I read about Myrons classes. It seems awesome. And people are shelling out over a grand to do it. It has to be good. 
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    From Myron's Class....

Whole Hog...

hog.jpg 116.6K
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    edited July 2016
    I would prefer to spend the coin on product and study online and in books. Nothing beats learning by doing it. BBQ improves the longer you are at it. Part science, part art.

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Rad5 said:
    I would think his class would be a lot of fun and the atmosphere would fit well.  I like to be told where the cow eat the cabbage and then everybody is onboard with what's going on.  Little pricey but isn't everything most people enjoy that way??

Winston-Salem, NC

• pasoegg
    shucker said:
    Check out Chris Prieto's class in Raleigh, I believe its called Ultimate School of BBQ.  Not too far from you and a very nice class for a decent price.  He doesn't cook on eggs but the same times/temps/techniques apply.  It is geared more toward the backyard cook but uses a lot of competition techniques.  If you're looking for a general BBQ class, it is well worth the money and you'll definitely pick up some knowledge from an accomplished, award-winning pit master.      

Sounds like something I might look in to...close to home and nothing wrong with seeing how the other side does things....I got a hankering for a wood burner one of these days to go with the eggs I have.  Anything to be able to kill some time with friends telling lies and finishing each other's stories all over an adult beverage....

Winston-Salem, NC

• pasoegg
    billt01 said:
    From Myron's Class....

Whole Hog...

that's quite a resume you have at the bottom of your post...don't know whether  to congratulate you or ask if gambling would of been cheaper??  Wish I could of been around for some of that fun....drink on!

Winston-Salem, NC

• pasoegg
    Come to one of the forum get togethers like Brisket Camp, NC Butt Blast or Grimm's Soirée. You'll learn plenty and have a better time than you will at any paid training classes.

I saw the planning for the butt blast in Salisbury and the photo's...I had to work that weekend but am planning on making the next one...Looks like it was a big helping of fun and everyone posted things they learned during the weekend....I wasn't there but learned what happens at the blast stays at the blast...till the adult beverages take over and the story telling starts...Looking forward to the next go round!

Winston-Salem, NC

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited July 2016
    I've taken a few different classes and picked up something new from each one of them. For cooking comp quality BBQ on an Egg, I would highly recommend Dizzy Pig's class, they compete using all Big Green Eggs. Chris does an excellent job showing all of the tricks that he uses to prep and cook meats for competition as well as fire management on an egg. 
    Though I have never attended one conducted by Chris I believe his style much less the EXTENSIVE BBQ awards he has won across the country tells me he has winning methods I would love to learn! 

Though I never taught competition style classes I did teach classes for 9 years at my dealer's store so that newbies could learn how to use their BGE plus experience foods I was proud to serve them as proof!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.