Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Simple Salsa?

Wife and I were given some fresh tomatoes, and I figured it would be nice to make some homemade salsa.

Any easy recipes out there?  Any favorites?
LBGE
Thomasville, GA

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 17,609
    edited July 2016
    Here's one I use (I prefer roma T's):
    Put some tomatoes (6-Roma) , garlic(1 bulb) , 1 onion. and 3 jalapenos (number and type, your call to control the heat) on direct at 400. Turn them frequently getting a blackened skin on everything.
    Remove each piece when done, the onion taking the longest, about 30 minutes. Let them cool for about 30 minutes then remove any loose skins.
    Put the tomatoes, the onion, the garlic and the peppers into the food processor with the juice of a lime, some cilantro, some salt, and a little cumin. 
    Pulse it a few times and enjoy.  I find it takes on a better smoke flavor if left to cool in the fridge for a couple of hours. 
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • DMWDMW Posts: 13,182
    My wife makes this one, it's really good.
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/restaurant-style-salsa/

Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - 18.5" WSM - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE - Akron Jr - BS SS36" Griddle
  • posterposter Posts: 556
    I enjoy an uncooked variety. Dice up the tomatoes, salt,pepper garlic, jalapenos, red onion, and green onion. Ratio isn't all that critical, you will find what you like, A splash of good vinegar helps add some acidity. If possible leave it in the fridge for at least a few hours or overnight and dive in. If your into cilantro or anything else often found in salsas add that too. Its extremely simple and customizable, but you can't beat it
  • LegumeLegume Posts: 8,587
    With fresh, homegrown tomatoes I would do a fresh pico (like what @poster just suggested) or make a bruschetta.  IMO, a roasted or cooked salsa takes away from really good homegrown tomatoes (caveat, unless you have a crap-ton of them)
    Austin, TX
  • Nole_FanNole_Fan Posts: 54
    What is the purpose of cooking the items first?
    LBGE
    Thomasville, GA
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 17,609
    Gives the salsa a subtle smoke flavor and gets the skin out of the game.  Make a batch one way and the other and see what you prefer. 
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • Nole_FanNole_Fan Posts: 54
    lousubcap said:
    Gives the salsa a subtle smoke flavor and gets the skin out of the game.  Make a batch one way and the other and see what you prefer. 
    Not a bad idea, I will do that!
    LBGE
    Thomasville, GA
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 6,720
    At the store they refer to the smoky kind as "fire-roasted" salsa.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

• DredgerDredger Posts: 1,453
    +2 on the suggestion from @DMW. That makes a fantastic salsa, it's easy to make and disappears quickly. I prefer to omit the sugar, but that's a personal preference.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • LegumeLegume Posts: 8,587
    @DMW @Dredger that recipe looks good, but there's not one fresh tomato in it. 
    Austin, TX
  • DMWDMW Posts: 13,182
    @Legume - You are correct. I never make it, my wife does, and I didn't bother reading the recipe. :smiley:

Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - 18.5" WSM - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE - Akron Jr - BS SS36" Griddle
  • DredgerDredger Posts: 1,453
    You're right @Legume. Making Pico is another story and we use fresh tomatoes for that, but the flavor and consistancy of this salsa is just right for us. Talk about easy, we just throw the ingredients in the Vitamix, set it to medium low speed, turn it on and it's ready in 5 seconds.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • calracefancalracefan Posts: 602
    Google Chevy's Salsa Recipe, the Top Secret Recipe is great and you get to use the egg !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO