Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Injection or no?

Options
Hi everyone, I've always used Elder Ward rub on my butts and have never injected one. What do y'all do? If you do inject, do you have a recipe you could share? I'm getting ready to cook a couple of butts this afternoon so any help would be greatly appreciated.
thank you!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I always inject mine but honestly i don't know if it makes alot of difference. I have done a few without injecting and my wife says she can tell. I probably just eat too fast :)
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Injecting and brining have the same end result, at least according to my testing.  I brine because it's less messy, for me anyway.  I would agree the difference is marginal between injecting (or brining) and not.  The egg makes for some pretty moist butts - man that sounds wrong...

Phoenix 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    I inject sometimes. I use peach nectar. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Never injected
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have never injected or brined anything. Not elder ward rub but similar. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Options
    Ok I think I'll stick with the no injections. Thanks for the replies!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i inject sometimes, i inject with elderwards vinegar sauce, and i inject when its in the egg around 160 or higher. no mess and no need to let it sit before cooking. more closely resembles a whole hog cook to me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I always inject. Not for moistness but for flavor. I have never had people eat both and not pick the injected butt. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I'm amazed this post has remained "clean" this long...lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Just don't use angry orchard...
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Never injected but am willing to try.  @Thatgrimguy - what do you inject? 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I'm in the brine camp with brother @blasting.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Yes if you have it, not necessarily if you don't... although you do get better flavor.  When I do, I find recipes that generally have apple juice (fresh cider preferable) br sugar, salt as the starters. 
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    No injection or brining. I do leave the rub on overnight though. 
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I inject. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I don't inject.  Never had a problem with moisture content.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Options
    I haven't injected yet.  But am gonna next time.  Anybody inject with pickle juice?
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I went back and forth on injecting and ended up in the non camp. Didn't think it made a big enough difference to warrant the extra effort. Wouldn't mind trying a brine though.
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Try this at least once, rub and all on smaller butts (more bark).  It's amazing.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pulled-pork-recipe.html
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • BBQbutler
    BBQbutler Posts: 82
    Options
    FWIW -- I never inject mine --- ( have always cooked them on my WSM for the past 14 years ) --- of course they always taste better the day after they are pulled.  
    LBGE , 22.5 & 18 WSM, 26.25 Kettle, Jennair Gasser, & a plethora of mobile Webers 
    Avid Cubs - Jaguars - Seminole fan. 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    I always inject mine. Here's a link to the recipe I use. It's from Chris Lilly
    http://virtualweberbullet.com/pork4.html
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I think your answer is you should inject some, try a few recepies, then decide if it's worth it - most competition guys I've watched on YouTube say they inject for competition but don't when cooking at home...if you're at a competition leave it on the field and pull out all the stops - for at home cooking it's just your preference and what you have time to do. 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf