Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Uneven brisket cook

Options
Need some advice please. 

Last night I started to smoke a 6lb brisket at about 225-240 F. It kept temperature through the night pretty well. 

Just a minute ago, I checked the temp of the meat again, and turns out that one side is at 180 F, but the other side which is much thinner is only about 150 F. 

Help, what should I do? I don't want to over cook the good side, but the 150 side is definitely not done. 

Should I just leave it on? Cut it in half? Wrap in foil? Something else? 

Any advice would be helpful. Thank you! 
MBGE, LBGE since 2009.  Georgia Born, Nashville Made.
ig: dewsouthbbq

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Are you sure you are not checking one of the temps in a fat pocket?  Hard to believe that difference.  With that weight is it just a flat or a small packer?  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HondaHawk
    HondaHawk Posts: 98
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Maybe separate point from flat. 

Or

Be sure the point is at the back of the egg (I'm assuming that's 150)?

YouTube "competition brisket" you'll see he actually separates the point from the flat and gets good results.https://youtu.be/KZbNHkedL0Q
  • georgia boy
    Options
    I know, I was shocked as well. It's a small packer. 

I'm going to check the temp again here in a bit, but I've already checked it like 5 times because of the disbelief, ha. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    For the end-game, just go with the feel in the thickest part of the flat.  When it probes like buttah you are there, temperature be dam-ed.  The point is just along for the ride.  Good luck.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • georgia boy
    Options
    It seems that I've hit the stall, so I decided to wrap in tin foil. How long do you usually cook, wrapped in foil when you hit the stall? 2 more hours or so? 

• HondaHawk
    HondaHawk Posts: 98
    Options
    It all depends. 3-4 hrs of stall in my experiences. Once it gets past 175 - 180 she'll heat up quite fast. 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Fat cooks faster...it will even out.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....