Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DIY 2 tier grid

Options
I have seen several options for a 2 tier cooking grid. I took the general ideas of those and came up with my take on them. You can get all the supplies at Home Depot. I used a 17" Weber grid, some u bolts and fender washers. 
1 LBGE. Winder, GA

Comments

• jstewart12a
    jstewart12a Posts: 144
    Options
    I should also add that I have a large egg. 
    1 LBGE. Winder, GA
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Stainless Steel U bolts?
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • jstewart12a
    Options
    Yes. 
    1 LBGE. Winder, GA
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Interesting concept, how stable is it?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • jstewart12a
    Options
    Just by putting pressure on it while it's sitting on the egg it seems to be good. The true test will be tomorrow when I throw some Boston butts on it. 
    1 LBGE. Winder, GA
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Take notes, I'd be interested in hearing how it went.  I built a tier with bolts washers and nuts.  When the grease ran down the bolts and seized up the nuts I threw it in the trash.  Next day bought an AR from CGS.  

Hopefully you won't share the same experience I did.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Three legs will give you more grid space under it, and it'll never wobble. Might try re-spacing them, because that thing will still be plenty strong with three
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @jstewart12a: Any chance you may be able to list all components? While I can deduce number of U-bolts, washers, and nuts, dimensions would help ensure fit, if at all possible(?). Thanks for sharing this!
  • jstewart12a
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations get everything from Home Depot. Here's a list: 1 17" weber grill grate, 3-4 3" ubolt I was originally going to do 3 billion t decided to do 4 of them for the first cook and I may reduce to 3, 16 3/8 fender washers, a package of 3/8 hex nuts. All of the ubolts, washers and nuts were stainless. I may upgrade to some carriage bolts so I can raise the grid a little more if need be. I am using currently and will post my results and possible modifications. 
    1 LBGE. Winder, GA
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Thanks a lot @jstewart12a! Please keep us posted, as I'm curious to see how this will turn out.
  • jstewart12a
    Options
    Overall this DIY grid worked well. As you can see from the pic it did what it was intended to do. There is a good chance that I may swap out the ubolts for carriage bolts because I noticed that the ubolts had moved a little on one side. I think that the carriage bolts would not do that. This is definitely a good idea of you don't want to shell out the money for something like an at from cgs that you may not use as much. 
    1 LBGE. Winder, GA