Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Having a problem holding low temps.

Ray
Ray Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I fired up the new large egg to do a boston butt low and slow. I had a real problem holding the temp. at 250 degrees. It wanted to creep up to 300-350. I had a lot of lump in it and the weather was real cold and windy. Any suggestions? - Ray

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Ray,[p]Close the top completely, it will breathe enough to keep the fire going. Close the bottom to about 1/8" opening. Your temp will slowly drop without killing the fire. It is easiest to "catch" the rising temp (by limiting airflow) and then opening a vent a tad to reach cooking temp. Your Egg cools much slower than it heats.[p]The amount of lump has nothing to do with the heat of the fire as airflow (oxygen to promote the fire) is the key to temp control.[p]Spin

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Ray,
    The key to keeping low temps is to close the bottom vent to 1/8 inch or less after you hit 180, then slowly cruise into 250. Once your fire gets big, and the ceramic heats up, it is tough to get it back down again. Also the more you open the egg, the hotter the fire will get.[p]in order to get the temp down once it is too high, shut your bottom vent to 1/16 inch, and wait for the temp to slowly go down. resist temptation to shut things down totally. It just takes some time to bring temps down, but you don't want to snuff the fire.[p]Whats cookin??
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Hi Spin,
    typing at the same time I see!
    Merry Christmas! and a yeee ha! Butts plateauing right now. Love that smell.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Ray
    Nature Boy,
    Prime rib will be on the new large egg Christmas day.
    -Ray

• Nature Boy
    Ray,
    Dang. This relaxing is getting to me! I asked you what you were cooking, but you told me in your initial post!! No worries about the higher temps with a pork butt. Mine have been going at 275 all day! The higher temps are not recommended with a brisket, but your butt will be fine.[p]Enjoy the pulled pork, and the prime rib!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Ray
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks for all the help! You guys are great! Whenever I have a question I can count on you guys coming to the rescue.
    Merry Christmas! -Ray

• Spin
    Nature Boy,[p]We both have done the temp control learning ;-). Help really shortens the learning curve.[p]Prepping some sides and a 15.5 lb bone-in eye roast for the cook tomorrow. Pizza dough is rising for tonight. Sausage, bacon, pepperoni, green bell pepper, double cheese, and extra sauce - the bosses new favorite![p]Sue and I both wish the best to you, the missus', and the twins for this holiday season.[p]Spin
  • Nature Boy
    Spin,
    Exactly Spin! The help here on the forum is what it is all about. I would not be nearly as confident about presenting this Christmas pulled pork to the neighbors if it wasn't for the help that this ignorant Qer has gotten in the past 18 months.[p]Oooooh doggy! Sounds like you got some great holiday eatins comin up! Just about 20 minutes away from watching the neighbors' faces light up when I unwrap that boston butt in front of their noses. MAN givin' makes you feel good. [p]Enjoy your relaxing weekend! Yeeeeeeeeee Ha!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Spin
    Nature Boy,[p]Enjoy the giving. It is much better than the enjoying the getting.[p]Spin

• Spin,[p]How are you planning to do that bone-in roast. Is the eye roast the same as a prime rib(eye) roast? [p]Over on the Kamado site, Alan (or is it Adam) Zenreich is into searing the roast in an iron skillet then putting the roast (akillet) into the Kamado cooker at 275 F until the roast hits an internal temp of 135 or 140 F. I figure this technique gives a good sear that seals in juices and then the low temp cook keeps the roast nice and moist.[p]Some folks on this site just put their roast into the egg at 375 F and just cook it like that until they get the internal temp they want. I am guessing this technique emphasizes a moist result. Does it give much of a crust? [p]Then I noticed a few guys were putting a salt crust on their roast and cooking it at 500 F with pizza stones and other stuff to make sure that the cook is indirect. I can't figure out what this technique is supposed to do. A moster roast in a shorter time? Any thoughts?[p]I am planning a rib roast on new year's. I'd like to hear anybody's tale about their rib roast results and technique.

• Spin
    char buddy,[p]A bone in eye roast is from the same area of the cow (rib section) and is very similiar in taste and texture as the prime rib.[p]Searing, salt encrusting, and high temp cooking all attempt to form a "seal" in the surface of the meat to help prevent drying. All work, but a true seal is never accomplished as the meal can still be dried with time. All of the cooking methods produce great results with the difference being personal preference.[p]I trim the roast clean of fat and marinate it overnight in a covering of a modified Cat's rib marinade. I follow her prep instructions using half the juniper berries, double the garlic, and add an equal amount of onion. I roast direct at 250°F, turning the meal every 30-45 minutes to expose all sides of the meal to the fire (ending with the bone side down). I use a small (1/3 size) firebrick as a prop for the times when the roast doesn't want to stay in position. The temp can be raised toward the end of the cook to adjust the crust. I cook to 130°F interal and rest (uncovered) for 30 minutes before serving.[p]The result is a roast with a nice chewy crust (the peanut oil provides the seal) with a hint of garlic and onion flavor near the surface meat.[p]Ask the butcher for a prime cut from ribs 1 to 4 (about a 6 pounder). These ribs are long, wide, and flat providing a natural shield under the meat for the finish of the cook. The ribs are also a nice treat.[p]Merry Christmas,
    Spin[p][p]

• Spin,[p]Thanks for the tips, Spin. I love Cat's rib marinade, but I think I'll do my first roast Lady Godiva style (as Elder Ward once said). [p]Happy Holidays to you and yours.

• Ray,
    I put my egg in a big cardboard box...like a regrigerator or an oven box...cut vent holes(not many) and off I go.
    I do cut a hole to access the wood hole.[p]I put an old cookie sheet underneath it.

[ul][li]Wood Chips for U[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    SmokinSteve,[p]Why did you put it in a box??????? What is a wood hole - the lower vent maybe?[p]Tim[p]
  • Nature Boy
    Tim M,
    I think he is being a smart a**.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Tim M
    Ray,[p]Lots of good advice from the forum, but no one asked if you even have a top for the Egg. Many sellers of them never use them so they are dumb as posts on how to use one properly. In 3+ years here on this forum - I have NEVER seen a post from a BBQ salesman! They think they know it all I guess but from the posts of folks who buy them from these guys they don't. To do low and slow temps you need a restriction at the chimney, I know some don't use them and control it with only the bottom vent but a resrtriction at the chimney makes it soooooooooooo much easier and it will use less fuel in a long cook. Do you have a slide/daisy top.[p]
    Tim

• Tim M
    Nature Boy,[p]That makes more sense than his comment. Gosh knows what a salesman told him though. [p]Have a good holiday! Did some fine filet mignons last night on Jr. Yummy!![p]Tim
  • Ray
    Tim M,
    I think that I may have figured out a big part of my problem. When I was cooking on the egg, I noticed smoke coming out the back by the auto lock band. I called BGE and they told me I had a bad auto lock band. They are shipping me a new one. These things sure seem to be delicate. I don't recall ever closing the egg without first releasing the lever. Although, the egg I bought was on the showroom floor- no telling what happened to it there.
    Ray

• Tim M
    Ray,
    BGE is good about replacing parts that are bad. Keep the old one as you may find a use for it in the future - you never know. Be sure to tighten the bolts good and tight or that big dome can shift. [p]Tim

• Tim M,
    Actually came up with this one myself..
    (after a few too many home brews on a cold a$$ night)[p]