Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

meat thermometer

Options
michael
michael Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
is it necessary to monitor the meat temperature?[p]I figured monitoring dome temperature would be enough as long as you put the meat in at the right time. From what I understand if meat temperature gets to a certain point then you know its done? is this why people monitor the meat?
thanks

Comments

• Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    michael,[p]A meat therm. takes all the guesswork out of it. Cooking times can vary widely based on the meat itself, humidity, etc.[p]BBQ without a meat therm. is like flying blind.[p]Woody
  • David
    David Posts: 97
    Options
    What is the best thermometer to get for smoking?
  • Ed
    Ed Posts: 123
    Options
    michael,[p]Armed with a meat thermometer and the T-Rex method of cooking steaks I produce meat that is done perfectly every time. Two steaks of different thicknesses, no problem, each is done to a perfect juicy red medium rare. You need a meat thermometer with a remote probe so the probe is in the food in the egg and connects via a cable to the readout outside the egg. It's the only way to really know when the food is done the way you want it.

• Ed
    Ed Posts: 123
    Options
    David,[p]I like my Polder. Just don't use it in an egg (or oven) whose temperature is above 400F or you'll toast the probe.
    [ul][li]Polder from Amazon[/ul]
  • Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    David,[p]Many use Maverick ET-73 when leaving in the meat for low and slow and a Thermapen for instant read.[p]Woody