Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cool, Classy Appetizer Ideas?

Lawn Ranger
Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We're having some good friends over for dinner tomorrow...Popsicle's Shrimp and a variation of Sandbaggers Lime/Cilantro mixture on bacon wrapped scallops. Any ideas for somewhat more elegant appetizers? ABT's are good, but not for this meal. Thinking more along the lines of stffed mushrooms or something like that. There will be some good wine as these are folks who know their stuff.[p]Thanks,[p]Mike

Comments

• Lawn Ranger,[p]This spread has always gone over well at our gathering. Enjoy. [p]Dan[p]Artichoke Crab Spread #2[p]
    2/3 cup fat-free mayonnaise[p]½ cup freshly ground Parmesan cheese[p]½ cup soft breadcrumbs[p]¼ to ½ cup milk[p]¼ tsp. Worcestershire sauce[p]¼ tsp. hot sauce[p]¼ tsp.. garlic powder[p]2 14-oz. Cans of Artichoke hearts, drained
    and chopped.[p]1 small can lump crabmeat[p]Vegetable cooking spray[p]Combine first seven ingredients: gently fold in the Artichokes and crabmeat.[p]Spoon into a 1-quart casserole coated with cooking spray.[p]Cover and bake at 350 for twenty minutes or until thoroughly heated.[p]Serve with assorted raw vegetables or crackers.[p]

• hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    Lawn Ranger,
    Seared Ahi Tuna can be presented with elegance. On a leaf of dark lettuce with shredded carrots around the edge.[p]This recipe is decent. Rather than using steaks, I broke off flakes of fish and seared them on a skillet. Just another idea. Good luck with whatever you come up with!

[ul][li]Seared Ahi with Thai Dipping Sauce[/ul]
  • Lawn Ranger,[p]A favorite of ours is to wrap asparagus spears in proscuitto, brush with evoo, and season with salt & lemon pepper, or seasoning of you choice. Grill at 300 for 10 or so minutes, depending on how thick your asparagus spears are. Turn every few minutes and take off just as the proscuitto starts to brown. Don't use the very thin asparagus spears, or overwrap the proscuitto, because the asparagus will overvook.[p]
    We also use this recipe with slices of red pepper, which is delicious also.

• Lawn Ranger,
    stuffed flank steak rolls .. ..

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    small crab cakes. .. ..prociutto wrapped scallops. ...

• BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    roastedgarlic1.jpg
    <p />Lawn Ranger,[p]Room temperature brie cheese served with Roasted Garlic and crackers or toast is always a hit. Classy, fast and easy.[p]Just cut the top off, drizzle a little olive oil and add about 1 tsp of your favorite fresh herbs (1/2 tsp if dry). Roast in foil at 350-375 for about 45 minutes or so.
  • MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    Lawn Ranger,[p]Get some Lingucia, and cut them into 1/2 inch thick slices. Fry them untill browned on both sides. Put them in a pot with either blackberry or blueberry preserves, and an equal amount of white wine as the preserves. Make sure that liquid compleatly covers liguica, cook down the sauce untill it is a thick syrup. The hot vs sweet thing is fantastic.

• Lawn Ranger
    Many Thanks!....I need to catalog these. Maybe there will be some more![p]Mike

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    Lawn Ranger,
    we have a small fondue style fryer that we put outside sometimes at the bar. we put cooked lobster, uncooked shrimp and scallops on ice and let the guests fry there own on wooden skewers. a couple of sauces for dipping and maybe some batter for those that want it. for the egg, maybe some type of fish like swordfish, shark, or tuna on small kabobs with pineapple chunks, ive had it with shark and it was pretty good, just never made it myself.
    for something real fancy, cube up some spam and put it in a baking dish with frenches mustard and welches grape jelley and bake in the egg, serve with tooth picks. almost as fancy as mastermasons dish : ). i love serving spam to the sophisticated types

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Lawn Ranger,
    You can make these today and serve tommorow as apptizers.Have a good weekend Mike.
    Larry

[ul][li]Chicken Cordon Bleu [/ul]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    20ba33ad.jpg
    <p />Lawn Ranger,
    chinese ribs, pork strips, terryaki steaks. most people dont know you can make those at home
    4b00abca.jpg
    big nacho chips with manchego cheese
    286fa7ca.jpg
    small bread bowls with lobster bisque, this one takes a little time
    100_0284.jpg
    ice cream bread with maybe a cream cheese spread

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Lawn Ranger, here is a very simple recipe for stuffed mushrooms that is really really good! The only thing is that it depends on finding the right cheese.[p]You need to locate Boursin Cheese - it comes in a white paper box about 2.5" square. We prefer the black pepper, but the fine herbs is excellent too.[p]We use the white, button mushrooms. Let the cheese come to room temp. so it is easy to spread. Remove the stems and fill with a teaspoon. [p]You really have to try these to believe them.
    We always cook in the oven, at about 375, but the temp is not all that critical and the BGE would work fine. Cook about 12 minutes.[p]If you want to get fancier, you can go to the Boursin WEB site.[p]Enjoy[p]

• I don't know if this qualifies as an appetizer, side or salad, but we make a snack of it before supper sometimes. It's easy, quick and not too heavy. It's Tomato Salad...[p]Slice a couple or several nice ripe tomatoes into 1/2" slices, slice a Vidalia or other sweet onion very thinly and spread on top of the tomatoes, drizzle Zesty Italian dressing over tomatoes and onions, sprinkle fresh diced basil on top of that.[p]It's finally home grown tomato season here. Guess you've had them a while, huh?
  • Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Lawn Ranger, pure genius expanding the use of the lime/cilantro mixture. I never thought of that. Let me know how it turns out. T

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Lawn Ranger,
    Dang, I don't have the actual recipe with me but this is simple, make-ahead, beautiful, and very good. Here's the basics IIRC... [p]Cheese, Basil, and Sundried Tomato Torta[p]Ingredients:
    Layer One:
    -1 C sundried tomatoes (drain off oil if oil-packed)
    -2 Tbs tomato paste
    ----
    Layer Two:
    -1 pkg Alouette or Boursin garlic cheese spread (4 oz?)
    -1 pkg softened cream cheese (4 oz?)
    -1/2 C freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese

Layer Three:
    -1 C (or more) Basil Pesto (your own, or good-quality brand)[p]Garnishes: Basil leaves, toasted pine nuts [p]Instructions:
    Line a 1-qt straight-sided dish (like a souffle) with plastic wrap so the edges extend beyond the rim.[p]In a blender or food processor, chop the sundried tomatoes and tomato paste. Spread this on the bottom of the lined bowl.[p]Mix together the herb cheese, cream cheese, and parmesan until well blended. Spread this over the tomato mixture. Note: I put the bowl in the freezer while making the cheese mixture, as I find it's easier to spread the cheese if the tomato mixture's very cold.[p]Last, spread the pesto, using enough to cover the cheese mixture.[p]Put the bowl in the fridge, covered, for at least a day or up to three days.[p]When ready to serve, turn the bowl upside-down and unmold the layered torta on a large plate; remove the plastic. Decorate with basil leaves, either whole or julienned, and scatter with toasted pine nuts. Surround with baguette slices or good crackers.[p]This is absolutely delicious, and so easy. Dang, I hope I got the proportions right. But hey, it ain't brain surgery and you're a big boy. Figure it out! Have a great time at your party, sounds like fun.[p]Cheers,
    Gretl[p]
  • Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Gretl,
    That one got printed! Thanks.
    Seth

• fishlessman,[p]Oh man....dude....those Chinese ribs look so good. Can you give the recipe. Irecently bought some Chinese Rib sauce from a local Asian market, please tell me that it's used???[p]Howard

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Lawn Ranger,
    hello my friend, google a recipe for cilantro pecan pesto and get yourself some baby portabella's, stuff them with either canadian bacon rounds or prociutto, then add some pesto, top with a little shrimp or crabmeat, and top that off with a nice provolone/parmesan mix or you can use a white jalapeno queso blend, cook 'em for about 20 minutes at 325ish and your in business.

• Lawn Ranger
    Chef Wil,[p]I'm heading your way! Thanks, Buddy.....and to all for the great ideas![p]Mike

• Howard, Some Chinese markets around here carries "Chinese BBQ Mix". See link below, I think I had some other brands. I made some Cha-Shu with a regular oven before and it was really easy. I am thinking to try it with the BGE sometimes.
    [ul][li]Chinese BBQ Mix[/ul]
  • Good grief, you forgot the best part. Sprinkle feta or grated parmesan over it!