Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Chicago CL $500

Options
Stumbled upon this while exploring CL this afternoon, $500 for a used mini, used once per the owner, what are your thoughts? Is this a good deal? Does the warranty transfer?

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/grd/5655772315.html
Chicago, Illinois

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Run away as fast as possible!!! Warranty won't transfer. You can find one new with warranty cheaper than $500

I picked this mini up a month ago. Never been used. More of a realistic price. I wouldn't go more than $175-$200 for a used mini
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Oh damn @WeberWho you suck!!!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Oh damn @WeberWho you suck!!!
    @Jeremiah Haha. Got lucky I guess. Still hoping the best for you and your egg chiminea. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    Brand new mini with warranty here is $399

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    500 is crazy for a used Mini...in the US
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I got my mini new for $300 federal reserve notes
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Mine was from a dealer & $300.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    Since it is in Chicago, that probably includes delivery to a safe zone.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Agreed, that is way too much. 
  • KKorkmaz
    KKorkmaz Posts: 150
    Options
    Thanks everyone, lots of good info here!
    Chicago, Illinois
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    They hit the crack pipe hard in Chiraq.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

I got a call from the trucking company this morning. My Mini will be delivered tomorrow. I paid full MSRP for it including the carrier and plate setter; $498.90 plus $20 for shipping. I did not haggle the price since I had a $500 gift certificate which I only paid $260 for. My dealer gave me the choice of driving to their store to pick it up or getting it delivered to my home. This debunks the rational that eggs cannot be shipped and must be picked up at the dealer. Either way the Egg will be on a pallet by itself. The cost to the dealer to drop ship to my place is the same as sending it to their store. The distributor paid 3.5% on the wholesale price for shipping.

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Mikee said:

I got a call from the trucking company this morning. My Mini will be delivered tomorrow. I paid full MSRP for it including the carrier and plate setter; $498.90 plus $20 for shipping. I did not haggle the price since I had a $500 gift certificate which I only paid $260 for. My dealer gave me the choice of driving to their store to pick it up or getting it delivered to my home. This debunks the rational that eggs cannot be shipped and must be picked up at the dealer. Either way the Egg will be on a pallet by itself. The cost to the dealer to drop ship to my place is the same as sending it to their store. The distributor paid 3.5% on the wholesale price for shipping.

I did the same thing earlier this year (except I got the CGS woo for the Mini) thanks to your heads up on the deal.  I was surprised at how heavy the mini is, I would not want to move the MM very far without help. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    stompbox said:
    Mikee said:

I did the same thing earlier this year (except I got the CGS woo for the Mini) thanks to your heads up on the deal.  I was surprised at how heavy the mini is, I would not want to move the MM very far without help. 
    Agreed. Have moved my mini a lot over the years. Mini max would be brutal if it's much heavier than mini
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mikee
    Options
    Did a couple of cooks on the mini. I'm by myself and the mini is a great grill. I'll use the small for low-n-slows for butts and briskets. I transported my small before but it's not what I would call portable due its weight. The mini in the carrier is much more portable. I'm going to a 4th of July party this weekend (July 3rd). I'm going to be cooking ABT's. I rigged up 3 cooking grates to maximize the number of ABT's I can cook at a time: the 10" grate, a 9" above that, and finally a 5" cooking grate.
  • stompbox
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Mikee said:
    Did a couple of cooks on the mini. I'm by myself and the mini is a great grill. I'll use the small for low-n-slows for butts and briskets. I transported my small before but it's not what I would call portable due its weight. The mini in the carrier is much more portable. I'm going to a 4th of July party this weekend (July 3rd). I'm going to be cooking ABT's. I rigged up 3 cooking grates to maximize the number of ABT's I can cook at a time: the 10" grate, a 9" above that, and finally a 5" cooking grate.
    get some photos of that!
  • Mikee
    Options
    Picnic is tomorrow. I got over 20 of them on the setup during a 'dry fit' and plan on doing a total of 40. So that will require two rounds. I'm not the type to take pictures and post but if I remember I'll do it.
  • stompbox
    Options
    Please do, just curious how you will fit that much in there, what your spacers are etc.
  • Mikee
    Options

2 1/2" bolts which should give be roughly 2" between the grates. I'll snap a photo with a tape measure. The little 5" grill is just to add a few more items. What I don't know is what is the temperature difference cooking at different levels. I don't think that will be a big issue as I will pluck them off as the are done. I normally cook ABT's in the 270* +/- 10* range. ABT's are now in the fridge. The bacon had a lot of moisture so I left them uncovered for the night. My thoughts is that they will cook in 2 hours with a crisp bacon and a tender Jalapeno pepper. ABT's are hard to screw up.