Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Upper Band

Options
After a High Heat Pizza cook, I ended up burning through my gasket.  No problem, Ron hooked me up with a new Rutland and installation was simple (thanks Ron!).

Before installing the Rutland, I noticed that my Upper Band was essentially touching the gasket, so I loosened everything, realigned the Upper Band, and then tightened.

I snapped the very last bolt...I probably got a little too aggressive or it was already weakened.  Regardless, it broke.  

I am having 30+ people over this weekend and work is crazy, so I have very little time to fix it.  Is there an alternative "fix" outside of taking the entire band off?  Some sort of high temp glue?  Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Dan 

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Sorry to hear, but no glue in the world can fix that broken bolt. My suggestion if you really don't have the time to get to a "good" hardware store or to your dealer is to just be careful opening and closing your dome and you should be fine!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Could also borrow one from your wing table as a temp fix.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Bshults1
    Bshults1 Posts: 145
    Options
    Same thing happened to my large.  Follow Ron's advice and you should be fine for the moment.  
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    I did this on my XL. I used JB weld it has seemed to work for now. I know it will break again but it has been 4 months and I am fine. I use my grill at least 4 or 5 times a week. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I had similar experience.  Three of my cinch bolts snapped amd replacement is only option.     Loosen the band and slide one in there.   Duane at mothership can hook you up with replacement cinch bolts
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Options
    My dealer had a few extra 
  • EggDan
    EggDan Posts: 174
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help. I reached out to my dealer and they are supposed to get some in on Friday.

I will pick up some JB Weld if they do not come through. 
  • EggDan
    EggDan Posts: 174
    Options
    Just an update for everyone.  My warranty Clinch Stud did not make it in the last shipment to my dealer but my dealer came through and pulled the piece I needed from a new Egg.  Very nice of them to go above and beyond. 

I also bought a torque wrench so I did not over tighten. Based on the new wrench, I was way over tightened on the clinch studs.  It wanted me to go tighter on the hinge bolt but it was already pretty darn bent, so I stopped. 

Despite frying a gasket and breaking a clinch stud, I am ready to rock and roll. Special thanks goes out to RRP and this forum. 

Weather doesn't look the best for tonight.  This will be my first time with my smoke ware cap for an overnight rain.  I have done dozens of overnights...none in the rain.