Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Placing wood smoking chunks????...............

GenesGrill
GenesGrill Posts: 308
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What method do you guys find best for placing chunks (mine are kiawe chunks which are about fist sized) of smoking wood in the lump?? Is fist size too big? Do you put it on top of the burning lump, bury it under the lump so the lump will burn it later in the cooking, or what?? I don't want all my wood to burn up before my temps are stabilized......

Comments

• ted
    ted Posts: 51
    I put the chunks on about the time it gets stabilized. Then put the grid on and start cooking. You might need to wait a bit longer if your wood is dry and cooking directly since it might flare up. I use dry chunks if cooking something quickly like a steak and soak the chunks if Im doing a longer cook. I use various sizes from sticks to fist sized. My mother is obsessed with providing me wood from her place... I now have boxes of oak, pecan, cherry and maple. So, I use whatever she gives me.
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    GenesGrill,
    A fist sized chunk is ok. I'd place it on the burning coals. If you're not cooking at superhot temps, it shouldn't ignite and burn vigorously once the lid is closed and should smolder for a good long while.
    Paul

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    GenesGrill, I put mine in just before I put the food on. I try not to smoke for than an hour for the longer cooks. My chunks are no bigger than a tennis ball, if they are I cut them down. I dont soak either. I may scatter 3-4 for over nighters, others I place near the hot lump, maybe 1 or 2

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Essex County,
    Well here is one more opinion ( nobody is wrong just different methods) I would use one chunk fist size is more than enough for my taste in most cases. I soak my wood for min 30 mins then let it drain 5 to 20 min. build a fire igloo on top of lump when that is going I disassemlbe the isgloo and distribute it around entire area evenly. that leaves the center with the most fire still burning I place my chunck dead center of that fire and put the meat on immediately and close the lid. The vents are only open enough to let air in maybe 1/16 if inch. I will not open the vents any wider for 1 hour then if egg is not to desired cooking temperature I will increase opening to stablize temp. for balance of cook. I find the majority of smoking flavor is done in the first few minutes to my taste.
    If you got em smoke em,
    Elder Ward

• GenesGrill
    GenesGrill Posts: 308
    Elder Ward,
    Elder....aren't you originally from North Carolina?? If so, what part? I live in Murphy (about 100 miles west of Asheville) and love it here...we don't call it God's Country for nothing...eheh.....

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    GenesGrill,
    My mother is from Tar Heel,NC, My Father from Barkus Creek, I was born in Sylva lived in Cullowhee went to HS in Charlotte. Went back to Cullowhee to live while going to college in Webster, NC just outside of Sylva.
    Lumberton, Wrightsville beach, Winston-Salem, Pineville.
    and maybe a few I missed. We moved alot when I was younger.
    Elder Ward