Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie temperature control question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Quick question... I am using a starter-cube to start my fire. Should I wait for the temperature to rise to a certain point before I close the lid? The instruction on the charcoal bag says to wait for 10 minutes. I have been trying to do a low-n-slow, so I don't want the 700 degree steak searing temperature and I close the lid shortly after the cube is on fire. And the maximum temp I've been getting seems to be only 350~400. Would the temperature be higher if I leave the lid open longer? Should I wait and spread the burning charcoals out? Thanks!

Comments

• 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    waruwaru, I use bge starter cubes. For a slow cook I cut them in 3 or 4 pieces scattered on the lump, start, open bottom vent take off daisey close the lid and watch the temp closely as it is alot easier to raise the temp than lower it

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Options
    61 CHEV,
    Yeah I do just a little different. I always start a small fire dead center but when I light it I build a small igloo of lump over the starter after it is burning. Close the lid open bottom all the way. Better draft I think. once the small fire is going and before it reaches tempereature I open the lid and with tongs pick apart the igloo and place the burning lumps all around the top layer. That way even if I didn't stack my lump tight the fire never goes out because it is in several areas.
    Then I close the lid again and bring it to cooking temp. before closing down the different vents to ideal settings.
    Well there is another take on the same issue.
    Elder Ward

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    Elder Ward, Man am I enjoying your input on recent issues.

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Options
    Borders,
    Thanks.
    Carl

• Unknown
    Options
    Thanks! I will give this method a try.
  • Unknown
    Options
    61 CHEV,
    hmmm, I've been stingy and using only a small piece. Let me try to spread out a few pieces and see what happens. Thanks!